over boost?

A

Anonymous

i have a problem.

stock engine, no mods except air pod.

could there possibly be a leak in one of the boost lines before it gets to the sensor thing that tells the computer how much i am running and wether to compensate??

cheers.

O

one Gti-R

How much boost are you running ??

Also there is the hose that runs from the wastegate up to the solinoid chcek that out and see if its leaking the other hose to check is the one comming from the plenum

A

Anonymous

well i dont have a boost gauge, but the needle goes right off the stock on in the dash.. so its over 15 pound for sure.

hmm i think i just found the problem...

a small pipe connected under the passenger side of the top mount. it wasnt on. when it cools down i shall reconnect him and take it for another drive..

mind you i am missing first and reverse.. but who needs them,

A

Anonymous

yep that was the problem. i'll keep that in mind for when i need to kick someones ass, just unplug that pipe and maximummm booost here we come.

or better leave it connected. save me money i guess caus shits going to break.

geetee

Running with that pipe unplugged gives you unlimited boost :twisted:

However, this means that the turbo will keep spooling faster and faster until it self destructs or something in the engine goes pop first. :?

I left it off once by mistake.... foook me the car was quick :) Wouldn;t have lasted long though I'm sure.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

D

DodgeT

when my bro bought his R a couple of years back it was running 30psi

it was facking fast :twisted:

ran like that for nearly a month till we found the hose missing off the i/c

1 bar just didnt seem the same after that :(

A

Anonymous

fuck it was good haha except for the backfire and bog down bit..

year 9 pound feels like shit now

i'm saving all my money now to do alot of engine work

D

dannyboy

MashRock said:
f*** it was good haha except for the backfire and bog down bit..

year 9 pound feels like s**t now

i'm saving all my money now to do alot of engine work
i thought it was 7 pond ? stanadrd ?

geetee

This is the confusion eh...

The standard boost is .7 bar = 10.15 psi

The standard bosst guage reads up to 7 - aha that's easy then :)

But no... that would be too sensible.... the guage reads mmHg (torr) :(

So 7 on the standard gauge is 700mmHg = 0.9333 bar

Standard boost of .7 bar should read 525mmHg on the standard guage. Or 5 and a quarter :)

Good link for this stuff...
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/pressure

Cheers
GeeTee
8)

A

Anonymous

hmm that standard mmhg gauge reads.

700mmhg which = is 13psi.. but my little gauge was bounching way past the 700 mark quiet scary really. i hope nothing is brokened.

MarkTurbo

geetee said:

However, this means that the turbo will keep spooling faster and faster until it self destructs
I left this pipe off after doing my clutch :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

But it dosen't give unlimited boost, mine just went up to 1.4 bar (20psi) and held there :shock:

I stopped straight away to find the problem (didn't want it going bang :? ) but it was fooking quick though :D

A

Anonymous

MarkTurbo said:
geetee said:

However, this means that the turbo will keep spooling faster and faster until it self destructs
I left this pipe off after doing my clutch :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

But it dosen't give unlimited boost, mine just went up to 1.4 bar (20psi) and held there :shock:

I stopped straight away to find the problem (didn't want it going bang :? ) but it was fooking quick though :D

for real haha, i left it unplugged after re fitting the top mount.. it feels so good driving the car with that much boost. i've had a taste.. now i need money to make it mroe reliable at such high boost.

geetee

Well no - it's not going to gove unlimited boost.....

The pressure will probably force the wastegate open against the actuator spring.....

Cheers
GeeTee :lol:

O

Olly

Stock turbo can make around 1.7 bar boost in my experience, I been running 1.3 on stock engine,Aquamist, Uprated fuel pump,Forge front mount 3years plus and no signs of wear or fatique :D just goes to show what the engine can do if ya get keep temperatures sensible 8)

C

chrislloydus

yes unless you have an uprated wastegate, the pressure inside the turbo will open the wastgate door at about 1.4 bar., and hence operate the actuator backwards.
If the engine is otherwise stock, all you need is one injector not firing quite right, or one plug not quite sparking right, and the engine will go bang straight away.

A

Anonymous

chrislloydus said:
yes unless you have an uprated wastegate, the pressure inside the turbo will open the wastgate door at about 1.4 bar., and hence operate the actuator backwards.
If the engine is otherwise stock, all you need is one injector not firing quite right, or one plug not quite sparking right, and the engine will go bang straight away.
probably lucky my car is in tip top shape.. engine* wise

*does not include gearbox