outhandle by clio= handling

Sonnygtir

I agree. Tyres make a huge difference. The gti-r really isn't cut out for lower speed corners. My dads Is200 feels 20times more responsive. When my R picks up speed though it feels great, not so twitchy and predictable where as the clio always feels like it wants to swap ends. Another well handling car is a saxo, probably because it's so light being built from kitkat wrappers. :lol:

Around lanes too, so much driver skill comes into it, and who has the biggest balls. :roll:

mohsan

no no no,ive spent some big bucks on my car,have installed the whiteline works,replaced every bush in the car by getting from both powerflex and superflex,also having it set up 4w geometeory and camber done by powerflex.Im sure the car will be a better car,infact much much better,even got oz superleggeras in 16s,with toyos 205/45/16.
but let me tell you something these clio cups 172 are phenominal on handling,you just have to be in one or see one move as i did.
hate the cars as their hairdresser style,but i gota give it to renault for producing such a car,and beleive it or not,it handles better then a civic type r which is like the best handling car

MarkTurbo

campbellju said:
The best upgarde you can make to a car's point to point ability is the driver.
I 100% agree with that. You can spend as much as you like on suspension, tyres, or brakes but if you're a crap driver you'll always get somebody coming along in a lesser car thats able to go quicker than you :wink:

For example. One of my mates has got a stage 3 sapphire cosworth, koni adjustable suspension, uprated brakes, etc, etc. I've driven it and it is seriously quick, handles and stops really well but round the country lanes or on a twisty B road i can leave him behind in my pretty much standard astra gte 16v :lol:

Its just due to the fact that i drive my astra pretty much to its limits :twisted: and he is nowhere near the limit of his cossie :roll: I keep telling him that its wasted on him :lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Here we go again :roll:

Handling is subjective. If you like fwd, torque steer and cornering on 3 wheels then a Clio cup is a great handling car. Personally I'm not a fan as its not driving the rear wheels so you can't adjust the car mid corner as easily as with a rwd or 4wd. Its all a bit one dimensional.

In terms of point to point ability they are good. Better than a type-R? its your opinon against the next persons and the Type R has split opinon right down the middle.

How a car goes is over 50% dependant on the driver. The other day I was having some fun with some young tricked up corsa driver. He had a lowered big alloyed car, I had the company's vectra diesel estate :shock: and still beat him through the corners on a country B road. He must have been thinking what have I got to do to this car!!

My point is, now you've got your car tricked up (Quite sensibly from the sounds of it 8) ), get some experience either on a skid pan course or ideally a race track.

If you've not noticed, this subject is my pet hate so please don't take it too seriously.

Jim

kyepan

kind of agree with you, used to lob my rover about with wild abandon running it right on the limit. but in some ways to drive the r in the same way would just scare the the shit out of me.. I am comfortable driving my r at 60% rather than my rover at 95%.

The rover understeers and you could left foot it into corners..and get it to travel at reasonable pace.
the r also suffers from similarly dire understeer, but you can't left foot it, cause you loose your vacume after a pump or two when the power is on. so you can't come in to hot and shave off the power as you turn in.

got a bump steer kit now.. so when i have serviced my slightly spongy brakes i'll get back to you on any improvements..

skiddusmarkus

I found that the lack of vacuum on boost makes left foot braking pretty pointless too.Shame cos I'm getting pretty good at it in other vehicles :( .

Nad

skiddusmarkus said:
I found that the lack of vacuum on boost makes left foot braking pretty pointless too.Shame cos I'm getting pretty good at it in other vehicles :( .
Antilag :wink:

Nad

G

gotoinstant-redline

i cracked my manifold with antilag!
had it turned down low too!
loads of fun and loads more power when you need it. but it killed my manifold (stock one) so i bined the antilag.

prolly ok if you have a budget to cover new turbos and manifolds and even heads after heavey use.

L.

K

KRS

When it comes to handling, driver is everything.

I hate clios though!... made a fast bend in a 16v, the corner swang the other way but the clio didnt seem to care.... I crashed.

M

mozza

Defintely agree with the driver bit!!! alot of its down to the driver. Someone with alot of experience can make a fairly bad handling car drive fairly adequately with a chimp who has his daddy buy him the latest scooby or evo.

Also dont under estimate the Clio cups - a few mods see over 200hp, cams, ecu, manifold etc etc. and handle very well for standard plus with a setup of coilovers, and sequential box not much will test this car round a track.
Ive always thought with a turbo'd car on a track, the main drawback is its mid range kick when the boost kicks in, with an NA car its incremental power increments all the way to the redline which is a better balance on a circuit.

I should have thought though a well modded R would hold its own against a clio cup around bends unless highly modded.