On standard gauges What should the oil pressure & oil temp be?

Hi, just wondering on the standard pulsar gauges (with white dial kit) what should the oil pressure read at? and the oil temp?

Thanks (P.s i did do a search but there was too many pages with the words "oil" & "pressure") :doh:

whytie

Prob up at 6 on cold start up and then on to 2 at idle.

Remember with those White dials they might never read right if they they are not done properly. Always good to have a spare set to compare .

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Prob up at 6 on cold start up and then on to 2 at idle.
Ditto - All the way up when it's cold, and about 2 when it's idling. It's probably about 4 when I'm driving, but that will fluctuate a bit because obviously the pressure is engine speed dependant (as the pump is too).

I would have thought that if you're idling with an oil pressure at 4 it's too high, and suggests that you might have a blockage somewhere.

darkyGTI-R

hi mate my gtir sits at 6/7 wen cold and sits just under 4 and the temp sits bout half way hope this helps :p
Same as mine and I changed my dials to white with no issues!
Also make sure your coolant is the right level ie not just water like I did and it all overheated!

Trondelond

It also depends on the oil, I've got higher pressure now with Gulf 10w60 than I had with my Castrol. Which I can't remember the viscousity of.

My oil pressure normally sits about 5 ish on cold start up and the sits at 2 on idle and when giving it the beans it rises to 4.
As for my oil temp`s it sits about 75 constantly unless caning it it will rise to above 80, and thats using silkolene(fuchs) 10/50 and an external oil cooler.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
So your oil temp is at 110? mine never gets above 80, even on really hot day stuck in traffic :?
I've got mine as high as that once, but it did involve caning it on a particularly hot day. Normally it's at about 80 like yours.