Oils squirters and Mahle pistons don´t work?

Thor

Hello!

i have a big problem. The oil squirters have contact at the bottom of the Mahle piston. Can i turn the squirters a little that it can work without problems?

Thanks
Sascha

vpulsar

You need to put cut out's in the piston skirt mate otherwise they will be bashed off first time you run the engine, That's why you should of bought the right pistons actually "for" a GTi-R and not any old SR20.

Rob

vpulsar

I see your problem mate, Normally Gti-R specific pistons allow for the squirters I don't know enough to advice on your problem. Can the squirters be rotated and still keep the oil supply ?. if so I don't see why they couldn't be shifted a bit but its a job I've never had to do, Maybe Danny can advice he knows a lot more about building these engines than I do.

Rob

vpulsar

I spoke to Danny and he said you can rotate the squirters if you file off the pins mate but he did say he would look at this thread later on.

Rob

Thor

Ahh that sound's nice!

After i file off the pins they still hold the position?

Many thanks for your help!

Fusion Ed

This is not a problem, you can file away part of the dowel pin that allows you to rotate them. Or remove them totally, you just have to hold them when you tighten them up. DO NOT MODIFY THE PISTON.

Good choice on the pistons, they are brilliant. I only use them in my all my Evo/SR20 builds now.

stifler1603

This is not a problem, you can file away part of the dowel pin that allows you to rotate them. Or remove them totally, you just have to hold them when you tighten them up. DO NOT MODIFY THE PISTON.

Good choice on the pistons, they are brilliant. I only use them in my all my Evo/SR20 builds now.

so ed you are saying that its ok to take the squirters completely out and just block the oil hole or leave the hole open. i have a friend in a neighboring island with the same problem cause he used cp pistons from a celica gt4 in his gtir cause they are the same size 86mm

Thor

He mean that the pin from the oil squirters can file away!

You can not open the hole! !!

Then you don't have oil pressure at idle.

Gtirchris

Why are the mahle pistons your piston of choice ed?, what sets them apart from cp, wossner, je etc, e.g, are they made from better materials, machined to a higher standard, is the technology that has gone into them better?, I only ask because I will be rebuilding my engine in the not too distant future and i'm intrigued, thanks.

red reading

Mahle are better for most people up to 4-450hp due to the alloy used they are very quiet running, for high hp use cp are stronger ....horses for courses race engine or road engine

Fusion Ed

Mahle do two ranges. They do a 4032 alloy range, and a 2816. The 4032 are like your typical forged piston. They have a higher silicon content and so expand less than the likes of Wiseco/some JE/ etc This means that you can safely run almost OEM piston clearances. This gives very good piston and ring life as the pistons remain straighter in the bores, and very little oil use.
The second point of the 4032 is they include a whole load of 'features' that you have to pay as extra on almost all others. They have a low friction Grafal skirt coatings, the piston is Phosphate-coated (this is what gives them the grey look - not shiny alloy), friction relieved ring lands, high quality and very strong wrist pin clips, (not spiro-locks) low friction, race piston rings, (these are tough, you realise how so when you gap them). The other thing is they are very tight on tolerances. You will find they often don't need balancing, and that the machining of each pistons are such that you don't even need to match the engine boring to suit. Basically they are a very good piston upto about 450-500hp, the only reason you wouldn't want to push the 4032s further, is that due to their low expansion they are compared to the 2816 pistons slightly more brittle. (but no weaker than say other competing products advertised as taking much more power). It just means that if you ever experience det or very high rpm etc at very high power you may break the ring lands where as the 2816 most probably wont. The final nail in the coffin to competing products is they are cheaper. Its a Win-Win. More here: http://www.us.mahle.com/MAHLE_North_America/en/Motorsports/Power-Pak-Pistons

The 2816 pistons are full race pistons. IMHO better (sorry Danny) than anything CP/JE etc do. This range are proven on 4cyl 2.0 engines to take over 1200hp, currently hold the fastest 4cyl 1/4 mile Subaru in Europe, and will withstand far more power than anything anyone here will do. They have all the same features of the 4032, just require slightly larger bore clearances (same as you would on other pistons anyway). These are even more precisely matched and hand de-burred. They are about 15% more expensive than the 4032, but still not expensive.

That, and the fact I can get them easily & they have worked very well for me, and the machine shop I use has an enormous amount of experience with them (they do most of the machining for many of the Tuning places in the SE) means for me its a complete no-brainer!!
FYI prices for SR20 4032s are about £500 ish, and 2816 are around £580.

red reading

No problem ed I like being proven wrong it makes things more interesing, they are about £50-£100 more expensive than cp, mahle are the biggest piston manfacturer in the world and zre fitted to alot of oe performance cars so must be doing something right

Fusion Ed

:) I've not looked at CP for a while, does the inc the stronger wrist pins, coatings etc? I found that often makes things cost more.

Thor

Thanks for the best information!

But why it is possible that the pistons only can hold up to 500 hp?? If i have the best mixture of afr and not too much heat in the burning room i could not understand why they fail??

Now i have heard that much Nissan tuners here in germany fit the mahle pistons too on the SR20DET and have not much more problems as with other pistons.