Oil restrictor

Dan_GTiR

Hi Fella's

Need peoples views, I'm currently looking to buy a GT2871R, and been doing a lot of reading that ball bearing turbo's need an oil restrictor, as they do not require as much oil as a normal journal bearing turbo.

Could people using a ball bearing turbo, please gives your comments on this topic.

Thanks.

Dan.

boucherie

Guys, same question applies to me and my gt3071r, the lines i had fitted had no restrictor in them and now everythings bedded in its started to smoke (most likely due to lack of restrictor) so how can i put a restrictor in situ with minimal fuss. ive got banjo bolts fixings at both ends of the turbo feed.

Im sure that everyone thats got a 3071 has had to do this at some point!?!?

PaulB

Anyone shed any light on this ?

Ive just done my first 50 miles in the car with the gt3071r fitted, and my heart sank when i saw smoke out the exhaust, not every gearchange, but its doing itnow and then.

Am i doing any damage with no restrictor in it, and where/how do i get one ??

I dont wanna blow up my new turbo :cry: :cry: :cry:

Keira

what most people say is a restrictor in the turbo is actually the seat for the flare fitting, the hole should be 0.035" in the restrictor, this is just under 1mm, so markturbo could get his nob in it and have some slight friction :lol:

clicky

PaulB

Iv used the standard oil fittings that i was told by Micra Ed, wasnt told about needing any special lines or bolt restrictors.

Can you confirm that the turbo i got off you ed has this restictor in it already ?
Im a little worried as im getting a smoky turbo :-(

Keira

Easily solved by having a look tbh, big hole, no restrictor, small hole restrictor..

i'll post a pic in a mo

Last edited:

Keira

thats my oil inlet, thats not a restrictor, bad photo but you can just about see the size of the hole, approx 4mm

thats the seat for one of these

radiobar

hi !

as far as i know all gt ball bearing are fitted with a restrictor
from factory.

please correct me if iam wrong.

but my gt3071r runs without problems for over a year now.

bye.

MORF114

My 3071R had a restrictor in it looked just like yours diesel weasel except the hole was a lot smaller. i had to get on the phone to garrett and ask them about restrictors and they said all roller bearing turbos from the factory come with restrictors 99.9% of them.

Last edited:

Keira

For future reference the simplest way to tell is just look at the oil inlet.

if its approx 1mm you're good to go, if its 4mm you need a restrictor.

i think alot of it comes down to where the turbo comes from.

PaulB

its from fusion motorsport, well turbotecnics really. cannot remeber the size of the inlet, i just screwed in the standard fitting.

Really nervous now, just spent a full weekend fitting it too . :-(

boucherie

it could also be something to do with the way your oil drain is set up, ie you need to have the return pipe going into the sump via the shortest route, well thats what i was told by apex performance as they said that the gt series all come with restrictors but im sending mine off for a check under warranty just to be on the safe side.

Mr GTiR

My GT turbo comes with it built in. I got worried about this when i read a thread about having a restrictor in the oil line. But when i phoned Owen Developments they confirmed that it was already built in.

Dan_GTiR

This is copied from Garrett's website:

Does my turbo require an oil restrictor?
Oil requirements depend on the turbo's bearing system type. Garrett has two types of bearing systems; traditional journal bearing; and ball bearing.

The journal bearing system in a turbo functions very similarly to the rod or crank bearings in an engine. These bearings require enough oil pressure to keep the components separated by a hydrodynamic film. If the oil pressure is too low, the metal components will come in contact causing premature wear and ultimately failure. If the oil pressure is too high, leakage may occur from the turbocharger seals. With that as background, an oil restrictor is generally not needed for a journal-bearing turbocharger except for those applications with oil-pressure-induced seal leakage. Remember to address all other potential causes of leakage first (e.g., inadequate/improper oil drain out of the turbocharger, excessive crankcase pressure, turbocharger past its useful service life, etc.) and use a restrictor as a last resort. Garrett distributors can tell you the recommended range of acceptable oil pressures for your particular turbo. Restrictor size will always depend on how much oil pressure your engine is generating-there is no single restrictor size suited for all engines.

Ball-bearing turbochargers can benefit from the addition of an oil restrictor, as most engines deliver more pressure than a ball bearing turbo requires. The benefit is seen in improved boost response due to less windage of oil in the bearing. In addition, lower oil flow further reduces the risk of oil leakage compared to journal-bearing turbochargers. Oil pressure entering a ball-bearing turbocharger needs to be between 40 psi and 45 psi at the maximum engine operating speed. For many common passenger vehicle engines, this generally translates into a restrictor with a minimum of 0.040" diameter orifice upstream of the oil inlet on the turbocharger center section. Again, it is imperative that the restrictor be sized according to the oil pressure characteristics of the engine to which the turbo is attached. Always verify that the appropriate oil pressure is reaching the turbo.

The use of an oil restrictor can (but not always) help ensure that you have the proper oil flow/pressure entering the turbocharger, as well as extract the maximum performance.
Hope this is of some help

S

spielberg

I was worried about this when I got my 3071R so I spoke to ATP in the States and Owen Developments and they both said that with a GT series you won't need a restrictor as it's already built in. I've run it for a while now with no issues so looks ok.

Keira

despite what everyones being told i have given you a picture of my gt35r with no restrictior, simons gt3076r also had no restrictor, both of these turbos came from the states.

the simplest way to be 100% positive is just have a look at it.

MarkTurbo

Like kieron said make sure you actually have a look :doh: They dont all come with them in! If they all came with them in we wouldnt have been machining up the restrictors at work a few months back and i can assure you it wasnt just for the fun of it ;-)

diesel weasel said:
this is just under 1mm, so markturbo could get his nob in it and have some slight friction :lol:
:rant: At least my nob is actually long enough to get to the bottom of the oil inlet hole on a turbo ;-) :lol: