Oil presure lights keeps coming on?

A

Anonymous

Just wondering if anyone could tell me whats up??

When my car is on tick over the oil pressure light comes on and the oil pressure guage is not reading. When reving the car or driving along the light goes off and the guage seems to read like it normaly did!

Any help would be great

Thanks

geetee

panic?! :shock:

Could be main crank bearings on way out or could be oil pump on way out.

Or could be Oil pickup partially blocked so when the engine is idling the pump isn't spinning fast enough to pull enuff oil.

Could just be a sender fault of course, but I think the gauge and warning lights may work of separate senders,

When did u last change ur oil n filter?

Might be worth dropping the oil and taking the sump off to have a look for anything obvious ??

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

geetee

Looking at the circuit diagram for the car...

The light is connected to an Oil Pressure Switch whilst the gauge is connected to a Pressure Sensor - which makes sense as the light is on or off whilst the gauge gives you a range.

As my last post then :)

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

J

jasegould

Get a garage to do an oil pressure check, then either smile if its ok or cry if its not. If its low oil pressure its most probably somethig major ^^^^^^see above

A

Anonymous

Weenie said:
Just wondering if anyone could tell me whats up??
is the oil level ok?
is it the correct grade?
try an oil and filter change.

always try the simple things 1st before condemning expensive items :wink:

A

Anonymous

OK, Thanks for the ideas so far Guys. The problem all first started when the gearbox went on me. Took it the garage to have a recon gearbox and new clutch put in. When I come to pick up the car, it was smoking like mad from the exhaust (people behind could hardly see!!). The garage then put a new turbo on. This solved the smoke problem but now ive got the oil light problem. And they no longer want to know. They did change the oil and filter so it may be the oil and filter they have used??!!

Ive got a mate coming to check the oil pressure tonight, Any ideas on where the pressure switches where he will screw his guage into?

Your help would be great

Thanks

S

seanleed

If it didn't have that problem when it went into the garage, I'd be inclined to think it's something they've done to the car. Talk to them about it and if you don't get a decent reply from them, tell them you're going to see your solicitor. Or if you think you do have a strong case tell them you'll start proceedings against them for the price of repairs in the County Court. I thik yo can claim up to £5000 in England through the CC system and you can do it all yourself fairly informally. You can download the necessary forms from their web site. Have a look at this http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/cms/media/ex302.pdf first.

Shaun

:D The oil pressure sender is in the same area as the oilfilter,looking from the driverside wheel arch,it is in front of the filter,slightly above to the right :!:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Weenie said:
When I come to pick up the car, it was smoking like mad from the exhaust (
Was it smoking when you took it in?
If not get a compression test done too, it sounds like they could have taken it for a thrash and done abit of damage.

M

memski

Fast Guy said:
Was it smoking when you took it in?
If not get a compression test done too, it sounds like they could have taken it for a thrash and done abit of damage.
I was wondering about that, but then again I'm very paranoid with leaving my car at garages I don't know/trust :(

O

Olly

My oil light was on a while ago, but still had good pressure (might not be what you have) then it went out, turns out Ref:Nissan Main Dealer, the light and pressure sender are all in one sender unit, have changed mine and now have more oil presssure than before and no oil light problems (only happened once) has the garage reconnected the wiring to it?