oil pressures

Fazz

It varies, also the standard gauges aren't teh most reliable shall we say...

On the gauges somewhere between 3 and 5 or even 6 is reported..

Personally, she hovers around the 4 mark on mine, the odd time it might not go up that far just seems to be a gauge issue though.

I'd be concerned if it never went past the 2 or so mark..

youngsyp

When cold, at idle, it should be around 3/4 of the way round the gauge.

At idle, when warm, it'll be around 1/3rd of the way round, gradually climbing to around 3/4 again, as the revs top out.

davey red.r

oil pressure

ive had a full hks engine put in 4 month ago brand new. oil pressure creeps to just over 4 when cold .and can drop to 2 when warm just mostly unreliable gauges.hope that helps.;-)

P

pulsarboby

yeah there is no specific reading really, as long as the pressure increases with engine revs, if not then you have a big problem!

allsmiles

some good info here lads so thanks for that!

now me next question, whats should the compression tester should roughly read? is it common for a pulsar to drop compression or is it just common sense, lol

thanks, u guys are toppers!

P

pulsarboby

a good engine will read between 150 upto almost 170 psi dependant upon comp ratio etc, any less than 140 will mean you are pushing close to a rebuild

O

Odin

davey red.r said:
ive had a full hks engine put in 4 month ago brand new. oil pressure creeps to just over 4 when cold .and can drop to 2 when warm just mostly unreliable gauges.hope that helps.;-)

Was that a new engine ?, Because the oil pressure is a bit low for a new motor, even my old 60k engine was seeing 6 bar when cold and 4 bar hot, At idle I was getting around 2 bar, And I know Steve's getting 8 bar cold on his newly rebuilt engine.

Rob

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Odin said:
Was that a new engine ?, Because the oil pressure is a bit low for a new motor, even my old 60k engine was seeing 6 bar when cold and 4 bar hot, At idle I was getting around 2 bar, And I know Steve's getting 8 bar cold on his newly rebuilt engine.

Rob
I get 7.5 - 8 bar on a fully hot engine from 5500 upwards :-D

DanDud

I get 4 bar on cold start, settles at 2-3 idling when warm and 6bar above 4000rpm. These are the readings on the standard gauge. Its a standard engine and done about 70000 miles.