Oil Pressure

S

Sam P

I have just changed the oil and filter in my car putting in 5W-40W oil in due to the weather bin cold. I have noticed that my oil pressure when the car is warm never goes above 4, but never below 2 is this ok or should i get some thicker oil. Also i dont have a speedo and in 4th and 5k rpm the car died knocked the engine down by 1k then started pulling again could the car be stilll limited to 112mph, and would it be doing this speed at 5K rpm in 4th :thumbsup: thanks sorry for the long essay

P

pulsarboby

oil should be 10w50 full synthetic!
oil pressure is fine, ive just rebuilt mine and its the same as yours 2bar at idle and 4 on throttle, so no probs there!
it is very possible that you had reached 112mph in 4th at 5k, try it again but go into 5th you will reach 112mph at a lower rpm.

O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
oil should be 10w50 full synthetic!
oil pressure is fine, I've just rebuilt mine and its the same as yours 2bar at idle and 4 on throttle.
I don't think I agree, If I had just rebuilt my engine I'd expect a dam site more oil pressure than 4 bar on throttle :?

I know Steve's runs over 6 bar on throttle and even mics standard engine runs 6 bar on throttle as well, And my engine still ran more than that after it had blown up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!

Blobby are you sure you weren't using mm instead of thousands of an inch when you did your measuring ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

S

Sam P

Well what diiference will it make if i have 5W-40W oil in it, the car runs fine no smoke just had top end rebuild etc just wondered if it was around about the right pressure when i start it, its about 5 bar

O

Odin

Sam P said:
Well what difference will it make if i have 5W-40W oil in it, the car runs fine no smoke just had top end rebuild etc just wondered if it was around about the right pressure when i start it, its about 5 bar

I wouldn't worry to much mate, But next time you change use 10/50 instead as it's the correct oil, But seeing as its winter the thinner oil shouldn't do you any harm.

Rob

S

Sam P

thanks alot mate , im new to running a Pulsar so just want to keep it in top condition

P

pulsarboby

Odin said:
I don't think I agree, If I had just rebuilt my engine I'd expect a dam site more oil pressure than 4 bar on throttle :?

I know Steve's runs over 6 bar on throttle and even mics standard engine runs 6 bar on throttle as well, And my engine still ran more than that after it had blown up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!

Blobby are you sure you weren't using mm instead of thousands of an inch when you did your measuring ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

that pressure isnt a problem robbie, if i had uprated the pump to a hiher pressure pump then it would have ran a higher bar pressure!
the other thing that will lower the pressure is the fitting of an oil cooler, as the pump has more work to do, if i removed the oil cooler the pressure would be raised.
it doesnt really matter what the oil pressure is, as long as there is sufficient oil pressure to supply all moving parts, and that it raises with engine load!

i have seen big ends go before as you stated, but oil pressure remains still high and no oil light has come on, as the bearing has spun on a shaft etc!

too high an oil pressure isnt a good thing either as this could indicate blocked oilways, hence less oil getting to moving parts, or a prob with the oil pressure relief valve, and seals etc will start to leak!

think of it as a human body! if blood pressure is to high death could occur:lol: and if its to low this will also result in an untimely death by means of a stroke etc:shock:if archeries are blocked blood pressure will raise and your head will explode off your shoulders :shock: :shock:

didnt know that im a trained vet come doctor come mechanic, did you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Odin

I think that with a rebuilt engine and its tight tolerances that it should have a higher oil pressure than standard, mine/Steve's and Mic's all run oil big mocal oil coolers and still have a far better oil pressure than your home nailed together motor.

By the way their is no up grade for the gtir oil pump it already has the best available, The 200 boys use our pump as an upgrade for their own lowly motors.

Once my engine comes's back I'm expecting 8 bar when cold settling down to about 5-6 bar when hot and under load, I'll be pretty pi55ed if it isn't lol.

rob

P

pulsarboby

il probably crash and burn before anything happens to engine anyway!
if something was gonna break on it, it would have by now as its seen a serious thrashing, so it must be good!
other possibility is that the oil pressure gauge isnt accurate or faulty sender,
or my old peepers cant see the dial properly:lol: