oil pressure

GTIR1000

when started my car the other day the oil light satyed on and the engine sound really rattley and there was no oil pressure. it has done this twice now. i know when u first start it the oil light stays on for a secong a slight rattle then dissaperars but this toook ages to go of then all of a sudden it got pressure. i was thinking could be the oil pump

mattygti-r

GTIR1000 said:
when started my car the other day the oil light satyed on and the engine sound really rattley and there was no oil pressure. it has done this twice now. i know when u first start it the oil light stays on for a secong a slight rattle then dissaperars but this toook ages to go of then all of a sudden it got pressure. i was thinking could be the oil pump
more than likely if you know your guages are ok oil pressure and the sender is ok and yovue no oil pressure i would have turned it off right away

as the pump sounds thou its on way out and i wouldnt want that going when im on full boost :shock:

J

jiw

it could well be the oil flow control valve is sticking, i had this problem recently, bought a full new pump to be safe, jeff

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If it's doing it all the time, the bearings (big end and main) may be worn. That would normally give lower pressure than normal when running too.

Check your oil leve l is ok, just incase of the obvious. If it isn't make sure you have no leaks, like at the filter for example (a couple have had them come loose)

GTIR1000

cheers mate i will look into i think i hae figured out the problem though it seems as though it is more than likley the oil flow control valve as sometimes when at idle pressure drops thejn rises on it own accord. i have got the instructions of jeff how to solve this prob but am not feeling to confident about doing it my self if you know of anyone in nottingham area that may be able to come and give me a hand tht aowuld be great cheers james i have already posted in the mids section

GTIR1000

thanks to jeff for his instructions with the oil control valve removal i sorted the prob with oil pressure it was a bit of muck stuck so glad it wasnt oil pump

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GTIR1000 said:
thanks to jeff for his instructions with the oil control valve removal i sorted the prob with oil pressure it was a bit of muck stuck so glad it wasnt oil pump

Are you gonna pass them on for anyone else who might have the same problem? :wink:

J

jiw

Tut tut learning at my expense :lol: :lol:

Glad you got it sorted mate, wish i had the patience to wait, instead i got on the blower straight away and wasted £340 :cry: :cry:

GTIR1000

here we are

Rite, off with the upper and lower sumps, to the drivers side you will see a nut, about 22mm i think, if you undo this nut their should be two springs followed by a piston, this is the flow control valve, you should be able to push this to the top of its bore and it should drop out on its own weight when lubed with oil (mine was jammed with the smallest bit of muck) if it jams try to feel for rags/sharp edges, if you find any dress them off with a round/half round needle file (try not to take too much off) that should solve your problem, my old pump is in an engine in greece now and works fine, just i aint willing to take no risks as these things seem to backfire on me all of the time, jeff

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GTIR1000 said:
here we are

Rite, off with the upper and lower sumps, to the drivers side you will see a nut, about 22mm i think, if you undo this nut their should be two springs followed by a piston, this is the flow control valve,
Sounds like the oil pressure relief valve I have in my hand :wink:
15132-54C01 (dual springs, small piston,some shims, a washer and a nut). I might have a look at replacing mine as I have the part. It's cheaper than a sender unit anyway :p

MarkTurbo

Thats a very helpful piece of information about that relief valve 8)

I'm due an oil change soon so i think i might whip the sump off and check this valve just to make sure theres no crap in it.

J

jiw

It doesnt bung up/block, just that the smallest bit of muck can jam the valve due to its tight tolerance, the big debate, pressure relief, control valve, all do the same job :lol: :lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
How the hell do you get onto the nut to undo it. It's a 24mm nut and I can't get near it, with the sump off :evil:

Bloody Nissans, why can't they put it on the outside of the engine like on my last car :evil:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Had another look and my socket/adjustables or mole grips won't go near it and even if I had a 24mm spanner the angle would be no good anyway. There's just to much in the way (part of the block being the main problem :cry: )

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I bought a ring spanner and as I guessed it woudn't fit, so this ended up being the longest most convoluted oil change I've ever done :evil:

But at least my oil pressure is ok again :shock: