oil pressure worry

Godzilla

just wondering if i need an oil cooler as when the car is warm the boost is good at 0.9 bar and the dump valve is loud but as it gets to full temp im guessing the pressure becomes less due to the oil being thinner, the boost seems weaker and the dump isnt as loud .or is there anything else this could be as when warm its fine just not when its full temp , (gets to about half way mark on the standard gauge, but should ready 2 notches lower as iv had the dials out and messed the markers up a little)

also on a second note is it right for the oil pressure gauge to go straight to the first bar on the standard gauge as soon as i turn it on , when i stop at lights it goes back to zero then obviously goes up abit as im driving.

Lemmie get this straight; are you saying that on idle, even when cold, your oil pressure is zero? Then, unless you've "messed the markers up a little", I'd say you have a serious oil pressure problem. Oil pressure in a healthy (up-to-temp) SR20 should be around 3-4 bar at cruise, 2 bar at idle. When cold, it would be higher.

Potentially, you have a knackered gauge or sender unit. Or a more serious issue. In either case, you need to find out which.

Gav_Kara

my oil preasure is almost 8bar cold idle and when hot 4-6 driving and 4 on idle!!! if i was you i,d get a good gauge plumbed in and try that if u messed about with them

Godzilla

The guage is faulty I think as from cold it's on the first bar but really is just above as it's the needle I messed with changing over to lockwood dials, so I'm guessing that cold idle it should be just above the 0 bar like at 2 so I think it's just a gauge fault showing 0 on cold idle ,also pressure will drop when idle compared to driving hard or normal , that's right isn't it that it will drop when idleing

Gav_Kara

The guage is faulty I think as from cold it's on the first bar but really is just above as it's the needle I messed with changing over to lockwood dials, so I'm guessing that cold idle it should be just above the 0 bar like at 2 so I think it's just a gauge fault showing 0 on cold idle ,also pressure will drop when idle compared to driving hard or normal , that's right isn't it that it will drop when idleing
yes mate will drop on idle!!! and raise when putting foot down! if ya oil light works and its not coming on then its got to be gauge when fitting dial faces

Godzilla

Good think that's the case really going to get a oil pressure plasma gauge as iv got replacments for the other two centre ones just waiting on my a pillar to come back from bodyshop grafted to the original so it looks factory then get them fitted too ,

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
it's more lightly to be the pressure sensor at fault (on the back of the block near oil filter) than the gauge

antgtir

High oil pressure is just as bad as low.

Sounds like the dials are fecked. If you have been dismantling them you may have disturbed or altered the original setup.

Ant.

Braveheart

You have to remove and replace the needle on the gauge to change the dial face.
You are supposed to record the reading at cold idle and replace the needle to the same possition afterwards.
You may have just put the needle back on wrong or damaged the gauge or your sensor is nacked.
Try a working OE gauge or fit a manual oil pressure gauge.

Braveheart

Think it's just the needle in the wrong place going to get the new one after crimbo is over
If your guage is still working, you could just remove and replace the needle for now.
With the engine off, remove the needle carefully, fire it up and carefully op the needle back on pointing at 2 to 3 bar.
That whay you can see it raise and fall through cold, hot, idle, high rmp etc.

Godzilla

good idea braveheart , it does go to just over 2 on the gauge soon as i start it so cant be too far out to begin with

Started my GTI R up the day after doing the head gasket again, since thee good old cometic one strikes again.
While the head was off i plumbed in a mechanical oil pressure gauge so i could know for sure what the pressure was, as the internal ones are not up to scratch.
When i started it the tim mechanical gauge showed me just over 90 PSI = Roughly 6.5 Bar,
And on the inside the gauge was just about 3.5 Bar, so its deffo not acurate
Once it was warm and ticking over it sat at a steady 3 Bar and the inside one was about 1.5 Bar.

Also plumbed in a new oil pressure sensor for my new gauges got the centre consol, so i dont need to mess about with it, when it comes to doing it.

Davie