Oil Pressure :S

Gray

Seems to be going a lot lower lately I checked my oil and it was just below half way so i topped it upto max but now when warm on idle its about 3/4 between 0-2 and driving it doesnt go much higher than 2-3 and ragging goes to about 4

It used to be a lot higher than this - could it be the cold weather but i thought it would go higher in the cold weather?

When I start from cold it goes to about 6.
Not sure whats going on is idle and normal driving too low pressure?

Ive never really known what it should be.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Lots of times before said:
Oil pressure should be more than 0.98bar (14psi) at idle
and 3.43-4.41bar(50-64psi) at 3200rpm On a warm engine.
:wink:

The sender unit is the first thing to suspect when oil pressure goes wonky, unless there's any assosciated mechanical noises/oil leaks etc

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check for oil in your water, I lost oil that way when the factory oil cooler was leaking.

Gray

Checked over the past few days with those guidlines youve posted many time sbefore and it seems perfect now.

Think it was just me being paranoid.

OZ-Racing

You'll find that your oil pressure drops when the oil starts to degrade, as viscosity is reduced.
So if your oil is getting on a bit, then this could be the reason for low pressure. :D

paz

OZ-'R'acing said:
You'll find that your oil pressure drops when the oil starts to degrade, as viscosity is reduced.
So if your oil is getting on a bit, then this could be the reason for low pressure. :D
^^^

What he said ;)

I got a bit worried myself first time it happened, didn't you say that your car was due a service in another thread or was it just the tuning work you were planning on having at Hiteq around now?

Paz

Gray

its been about 5k since an oil change - it was due for one today at hiteq aswell as fitting emanage and injectors but they cancelled on me - seing if DP can fit me in before 25th march as got a rolling road day then

antgtir

Do the oil and filter change yourself mate, well easy job and will save ££ rather than getting someone to do it for you.

Ant. :wink:

Gray

They are moving from where they are now as they have had a bust up with the landlord over them making too much noise so theyre moving to another location as they want a rolling road too.

Ive done a few oil changes myself but it seems every time i do one the oil filter is an absolute B45T4RD to get off.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
stevepudney said:
Thats the second landlord bust up in 2/3 years I know of :shock:

Due to noise i think...

But i hear that he's moving to a new premises and purchasing a dyno... :D

Rishi

OZ-Racing

Gray said:
Ive done a few oil changes myself but it seems every time i do one the oil filter is an absolute B45T4RD to get off.
You don't need to do it up very tight :shock:

Just hand tight (make sure it is clean so you can get a good grip :wink: ) and make sure you put a film of oil on the rubber seal 8)

Gray

yeah but gettin the bloody things off are a right tw4t
can you undo it from the top of the engine bay or under the car?

i need to buy some 10w 50 millers aswell

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Get an oil filter removal tool, it'll make it easier to get off. They do tend to be harder to get off even though you only do them up tight by hand.

J

justin666

Gray said:
yeah but gettin the bloody things off are a right tw4t
can you undo it from the top of the engine bay or under the car?
Take the driver side front wheel off and you will find a lovely big hole through which you stick your arm and remove the oil filter :D Easy as ya like buddy :D

J.