oil pressure relief valve thingy

J

justin666

Due for an oil change very soon and i figure while im at it im gonna whip the sum off and sort out my pressure relief valve as im getting a bit fed up of my random oil pressure.

Now i know its a bit of a tart to get to so was wondering of anyone had any advice? has anyone found an easy way to get onto the big nut (22mm if memory serves correct) so i can get the relief valve sorted?

Thanks in advance people.

J...

antgtir

Never done this job so not 100% sure on what you are on about lol :lol:

But if you have any past photo's etc i may be able to suggest something that may be of use from my extensive experience :? :lol: :lol:

Ant. :wink:

J

justin666

follow pic blagged from another thread concerning this..

In that picture you can just see the large bolt top right inside the bottom left of the sump. That will be the top of the relief valve which hold all the springy bits and piston in place.

Now I know it looks easy to get to but having had a look before i tell you its not :( All Kinds of bits of metal from the block casing getting in the way.!!!

Over to you :)

J..[/url]

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I wouldn't go messing about with that until I'd made sure it not just a dodgy oil pressure sender unit. That's what normally causes all the problems

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I wouldn't go messing about with that until I'd made sure it not just a dodgy oil pressure sender unit. That's what normally causes all the problems

J

justin666

Quick run down of whats happenin then and why i think its the relief valve..

Start car up from cold, oil pressure very good up at around 6 to 7 on the guage. When it warms up a bit drops to 4, drive along and it will randomly go up and down between 2 if cruising and 4 if nailin it. Sometimes when im slowing down and its sittin on 2 it will randomly jump back up to 4. If it is sittin at say around 2 on the guage and i turn the car off and on again it will then read about 3 on restart.. The poxy thing has a mind of its own.!!!!!! Was pointed in the direction of the relief valve as from what i hear if they get sticky they can cause erratic pressure.

Wheres the sender located and how much will one cost me? May be worth a try as its boud to be easier than gettin that nut off.!!!

Cheers guys :)

J..

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I gave up trying to get to mine and put it all back together :oops:
You're going to need some sort of special tool to get onto that nut, or you may have to do it with the pump off the car. As said above, there's just too much in the way to get a normal socket or spanned onto. :evil:
Why they couldn't have put it outside the sump like on some other cars I don't know. (Bloody Nissan :roll: )

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Unless you did a rebuild and put a new relief valve assembly in and the little piston valve is binding or your still on OEM built engine and theres some $hit stuck in the valve it will almost definately not be that.

I bet it's the 13 yr old oil pressure sender just gone a bit bonkers, new there about £45 from Nissan. It's located just under the oil filter, it's the small metal cylinder in a rubber boot with a wire in the top of it, screwed into the oil filter mount. Very easy to do if your doing a oil filter change.

antgtir

I would tend to agree with Stevepudney on this one matey as it sounds more like an electrical fault rather than a mechanical fault with the valve.

I have one of these sat in the loft off my first R, initially thought that was knackered but turned out that it was the gauge unit :roll:

Ant.

J

justin666

Well, As usual you have all been very helpfull :D Appreciate it.

I will get a new pressure sender unit ordered and give that a go. Dont suppose anyone knows what the part number is do they?

Love you :shock:

J.

peterkiwi

Try fitting a actual oil pressure test guage in where the sender goes as it the only way of finding out what actuall pressure your running, maybe a good mechanic friend may have one with multiple types of threaded connectors. Mine is a sykes pickavant test set had it since i was a apprentice.