OIL PRESSURE READING

puregttipower

Serviced my car today, used castrol gtx 10w 40 oil after the service the oil light came on even though oil is full. On reving the oil light goes of but stays on at idle. Also oil pressure gauge is on 0 at idle when reved slightly moves and on drive it goes to around upto around 4. This occurs when engine is warm but on cold start it seems okay then drops when warm. Didnt do this before oil change.
Cheers any help will be appreciated.

A

ADEGTIR

possibly a dodgy oil presure gauge and i have always used mobile1 15 50 with no probs.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is this on the 350bhp cossie or another car as I wouldn't have thought Castol gtx is suitable for any high performance engine (if you want it to last)
Can you hear any knocking/rattling noises from the engine? If so start saving up, but maybe try connecting a mechanical oil pressure gauge first to confirm what oil pressure you have. Factory senders are aways failing :?

turblio

WTF is all this boll8x about cossies all of a sudden I had one they are shite
this is an effin R forum grrrr :evil:
Frank
ps mine was 400bhp and was sh8te ALLRIGHT

B

beast14

hey guys..........when i run my car a bit, my gauge reads about 22psi oil pressure( autoguage mechanical)................is that good???..........i find it's kinda low..........

what's a good reading after a little normal driving...........

and how low is too low???..........ie. what would be a badd reading???

i'm using redline sae50 (straightbody not multgrade?........

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Oil pressure should be more than 0.98bar (14psi) at idle
and 3.43-4.41bar(50-64psi) at 3200rpm On a warm engine.

I'd stick a multi grade in there as that's well thick for start up on a cold engine.

O

Olly

If ya got a cossie ford recommend 5w40 which is pretty slim, so if you really have a cossie and have no pressure on 10w40 then SWITCH IT OFF AND SAVE FOR A REBUILD before you got nothing left to rebuild, like a rod out the block or oval crank etc... :eek:

If ya have a R try a new sender cos the oil light/temp/pressure are all in one unit and do go wrong due to age mine did, good luck 8)

Yeah, if it's an R, try tapping the guage like a fighter pilot in world war two would do... you may see it suddenly jump to a different reading altogether... :roll:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Except they teach you never to tap the gauge incase you break the glass :wink: Tap something next to the gauge instead :p