oil pressure gauge

gtir_pimp

on the standard 3 gauges, the oil pressure gauge has never worked properly. it takes long to move and when revvedhard it doesnt move coz its like the needle in the gauge is sticky! im sure it not a problem with pressure as its always been like this and the car performs well and its sometimes driven hard,so would of gone bang ages ago. my question is would it be the oil pressure sender? and are they easy to change? the temp gauge works fine and the boost ones disconnected as i run more than standard boost.
on my mates R his works fine but i noticed when the engine is switched off the oil pressure gauge stops working immediately and the needle drops in the blink of an eye, but mine goes down slowly, around 5-10 seconds! it doesnt bother me too much, but as the cars running good i have nothing to fix!:lol: and doesnt feel right so i want something to do :lol:
thanks

Grab a s/h oil pressure switch from Bobby and replace your old, probably knackered one. 90% certain that'll be your problem.

gtir_pimp

just to check on fitting the switch, is it all do-able from under the car, or do you have to unplug it at the back of the gauge aswell? just wondering if i will have to get the gauges out or if i can get my hands round the back of them?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The wiring behind the dash should be fine.
Just swap the sender (sensor) over and plug it into the harness where it connects in the engine bay.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I wouldn't go pulling anything out from behind the dash unless you really have to - it's a nightmare; wire in a boost controller and the dash lights go out; fix that and the stereo goes off; fix that and the mirrors stop; fix that, chant a sacred chant, sacrifice some oil to the gods of cars, and it'll all work again.

P

pulsarboby

dont think its the sensor in your car aron, i think its the gauge itself.
if you can remember when i fitted your engine the gauge was giving false readings then and you said it was doing the same thing on your old engine before it went bang.
so you maybe better to look there first.