Oil Pressure concerns

D

deslynam

I've noticed over the past week or two, that my oil pressure on my Pulsar's centre gauge is lower than the last time I remember taking any notice of it.

On startup it's ~4kg/cm-squared but sometimes drops to as low as ~1kg/cm-squared idling.
When driving along and accelerating, it hovers around 2 and earlier today the gauge went back up to 4 after about 5minutes driving normally <50mph along the lanes.

What things do I need to check? And how do I go about checking them?
Will an oil change make a difference? If so, should I just put a cheap one in to flush through, or something better and just bend-over for Oilman to have his way with me?! :lol:

Until 1000miles ago, it had 10W40 Valvoline semi-synth in it, but now has Millers CFS 10W40 in, and also a new filter.
Could any dislodged carbon muck be blocking the flow?

Could it just be a dodgy gauge, or pressure sender? Would it be worth getting a garage to temporarily plumb in a different gauge?

If it might be oil-pump related, how many hours should it take to replace with a 2nd hand pump? I shudder to think how much a new one would be! :roll:

Answers on a postcard to the usual address, please...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It could be the sender unit, or you could check for oil in your water (leaking standard oil cooler) Sometimes an oil change cures it for a while, but as yours is fairly new, I doubt it would do much.
You could make sure your oil filter is not leaking (occaisionally they have been known to come loose)

D

deslynam

(this is where my crap knowledge of the 'R shows)
Where's the oil cooler?
Doesn't appear to be any oil in the coolant though.

I wondered whether the change from semi-synth (possibly all it's life) to fully synth has cleaned out some sludgey crap, which in turn is restricting flow?

Will investigate getting a replacement/2nd hand sender for the time being, and change the oil for the sake of it, I reckon...

marcus_g

Mine was the same mate made me paranoid it was fecked blowing up all sorts but an oil change later solved it ,but i had done about 10,000 miles with out changing oops my bad.

J

justin666

Mine used to do this aswell. It would randomly go up and down and sometimes even read zero!!!! :shock: Turned out to be the sender unit in the end which cost me the grand total of 15 quid for a second hand one :thumbsup:

J.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Factory oil cooler is the round item with 2 water hoses attatched to it on the side of the filter housing.

D

deslynam

Fast Guy - cheers for the info, i'll check when I change the oil then.
Justin - after a whizz through the forums this seems to be a common problem. Might give that a go, although maybe not worth the risk on a 2nd hand one incase it's got probs too...

A

a11ova

mine did the same. Changed the sender unit and fixed the problem :)

faz

sorry for digging up this old post but wheres the best place to get the sender unit?

Nissan? if so anyone have a part number?

Cheers.

P

pulsarboby

easy check for you is: pull the main wire off sender and put it straight to earth with ignition on!
guage should go round to max reading, if it doesnt then you have a faulty guage, if it does go round to max, then its more than likely your sensor thats causing the prob!