Oil pressure again

gtirneil

After much searching i still cant find an answer

Basically, when i start my car the oil pressure goes upto 6, not amazingly fast, mayb 6 seconds or so.

Once i have been driving for a minute or two it will drop to 4ish then to 2, when its fully warmed up it will sit at about 1, even when driving, it does this most of the time, however sometimes, it does actually work abit and will rise back up, according to the revs.

Im going to replace my oil pressure sender and the oil pump (with second hand units) and change the oil to 10/50 silkolene pro S, will the symptons described warrent me doing all that, is there anything else i need to check or possibly replace.

Another thing for the last 8 months my car has made a tapping noise thats in time with the revs, it doesnt get loud and doesnt feel like its vibrating the car, it also dissapears as soon as the boost comes in, so im trying to rule out a knackerd bottom end, i origionally thought this noise was the power steering pump , im now thinking its the oil pump.

Any help/ suggestions would be much appreciated.

frp

My pressure gauge behaves similar but as all the gauges do what they like I try to ignore them. Standard gauges don't seem to be accurate in my opinion.
steve

gtirneil

Ive had 10/40 not sure on what brand it was, probably recycled cooking oil knowing my luck.

Just had a quick drive, didnt go over 3000rpm and it stayed at 2bar, didnt move below. I might have a try with a different guage.

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
That's why you're having pressure problems :doh:

Get rid of the pi$$ water and your pressure will go right up :-D

"After much searching" my ar$e ;-)

nissans rule

if i was u i would take of ur sump pan and check for file ings also ur oil pickup could b blocked with s--t.oh and the noise dosent sound great cause mine was doing that exact same thing especially between 2 and3000 revs ended up been conrod bearings.so if i was u i would take of the sump its easy and will tell u if its a engine wear problem.

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
nissans rule said:
if i was you i would take off your sump pan and check for filings,also your oil pick up could be blocked with $hit.Oh and the noise doesn't sound great because mine was doing that exact same thing especially between 2 and 3000 revs ended up been conrod bearings.So if i was you i would take off the sump its easy and will tell you if its an engine wear problem.
;-)

gtirneil

It doesnt sound internal, if that makes sense, sounds like a bearing clicking or something, its not a nock or anything, i will check the sump to make sure. I still havnt ruled out the power steering pump yet as that was rattling and grinding a year or so ag, then the noise just went.

How long would the conrod bearing last if it had gone? as its taken alot of abuse since then and hasnt got any worse.

I will change the oil this week.

paz

I use 10/40 in mine Neil, myself and the previous owner both used the same brand so its been about 7 years now. I had no problems with pressure until I tw@tted the sump pan and put a nice dent in it directly under the oil pick-up. Took that off and hammered out the dents and its been fine ever since, you wouldn't believe the difference even a shallow dent can make.

Give that a go fella, after that I'm stumped sorry unless you're due an oil change?

Paz

gtirneil

Well i had a quick look under my car today to check the sump as Paz said and the fooking thing has a big dent in it, so thats off to get sorted on wednesday.

Im also going to get asll the pulleys and the alternator looked at, as i have had a few people look and listen to the noise and it sounds too rattly to be the bottom end, its like something is loose, its also not in time with the revs, it rattles and knocks at its own speed. Am i right in thinking the crank pulley is in two pieces and its quite common for them to seperate. If it is the bottom end im just going to drive the shit box till it breaks then replace the engine :(

paz

Fingers crossed that sorts the oil pressure fella :) sorry to hear about the other problems.

Mine got broken into on Thursday night, not over the moon.

Paz

MORF114

I had really crap oil pressure like you described replaced oil pressure sender and was still the same so i took a oil sample and sent it off to shell (not the petrol station i know some smart @rses were thinking of saying something smart)for a oil analysis and there was shit loads of copper and tin in the oil and was put down to worn bearings in their report the engine never knocked or sounded like the bearings had gone.

Just get a oil sample and send it off for analysis easy and cheap to get done and lets you know whats fooked in the engine if anything its good for peace of mind or in my case let me know early that the bottom end bearings were knackered.

gtirneil

Paz thats a shitter man, theres lots of top end cars round ours getting broke into (mine should be safe then)

I hope it isnt the bottom end, can the bearings be replaced without taking the engine out?, well im going to keep driving it and when it goes, it goes, upgrade time :)