Oil mist

S

si.c R

I have just done an oil change on my car. Stuck millers 10w 60 in, I normally use castrol rs but found that millers is cheaper.
Anyway after changing the oil my car keeps cutting boost back to 0.5 :(
Would this be anything to do with oil mist going into the intake as i have just found on another site that oil mist can lead to detonation therefore the car will cut the boost.
Would it be anything to do with the type of oil used as i havent had this problem before.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If oil mist gets into the intake system it can lower the octane rating of the fuel/air mixture and lead to detonation.
If this has just started since your oil change, then I'd suggest cleaning out your oil separator system or maybe fit an aftermaket one if yours is standard. Possibly it's an indication that your rings/bores are worn and you are getting excessive blowby into the intake . :?
However it could be just coincidence and something else is causing it, the det sensor for example.
One way to tell would be to change back to Castrol and hope it clears up.

S

si.c R

I did clean out the oil separator fairly recently and the car definatly felt to be running better afterwards. That was before i had this problem though so i will maybe try castrol oil again. I would be suprised if just changing the make of oil would make that much difference to the running though. On the other web site there is a way to bypass recirculating into the intake so i might give that a go first, has anyone done this :?: I would expect that if it was the rings/bores it would have been a problem for a while and not just since i changed the oil.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, on my last car I took the bit that goes back into the inlet and just put it into a catch tank, well a 1lt top up oil bottle. :p

Keira

mine goes to a catch tank, havn't bothered returning it to the air duct, no problems at all, although the air being sucked into the engine helps to draw air out of your breather if you were to have a return hose from catch tank/seperator to the inlet duct.