Oil in Dump Valve Hose

cobra10

Hey all, my Bailey dump valve wasnt sounding like it should so i decided to check connections etc. Low and behold when I took apart I found oil on the elbow that connects to end of pipe.

Spoke to a few folk who said that shouldnt be there but were unable to give any reason. Any ideas?

Also is there any test I can do on the dump valve as its not making the right noise (imo) when releasing the pressure on change up.

Cheers

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Which Bailey dump valve is it? If it's a DV24 (single piston), then it's the wrong one for your car; you need a DV26.

As to the oil, god knows... how are your turbo seals? Do you get much crank case blow-by? If there's oil coming up the intake to the plenum it probably will catch and pool in that section for the dump valve.

It may not be dumping right because it's full of oil!

cobra10

when i bought it the turbo seals were gone and it was chucking out plumes on deceleration etc, changed the turbo and it was fine, so the oil could have came in while the dodgy turbo was being used and is still there.

with regards to which dump valve it is, it doesnt have a part number on it, just bailey motorsport, looked on google for some pics and it aint the dv26 or dv24, so i'm on a mission now to find out what the heck it is, it looks like the dump valves with the 4mm on top and the 25mm on the bottom but where the pics differ is that mine has a spout or something like that coming out of it rather than just being a cylinder type unit

cobra10

ok found it, its the venturi dv36, anyone had any experience of these?

though i reckon somethings up somewhere either with the dump valve or something else as the dump is not a whosh, more of a stuttering whoosh if that makes any sense

Last edited:

stumo

If you're still using the PCV hose into the intake pipe (ie, stock setup) then you will get oil in the dump pipe.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Well that makes sense Stu... I took my PCV out at about the time I put the SQV in (and the Bailey DV24 out... which is how I know it's the wrong one), and I haven't seen any oil in it.

But if it's coming up the intake pipe, that's the natural place for it to collect... and purge it's self out each time it opens.

cobra10

cheers for the help guys but are there pics anywhere on what i should be looking for? youre saying pcv and intake pipes and i'm like hmmmmmm ok then, i got the car the way it is and havent dont anything, the guy who owned it before the guy i bought it off done all the work but not sure of the quality involved, like u said with likely the wrong hose.

what type of hose am i supposed to be using if not the pcv?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Here's an old picture of my engine when I still had the PCV in:

You can just about make out the PCV plumbing coming out of the rear left of the rocker cover and then across the throttle bodies in the blue tubing.
You can also see the black hose come off the rocker and down to the inlet hose before the turbo.
- Those are probably the main sources of oil blow-by. If oil gets in there you can see that a good spot for it to collect is that section where the BOV is connected.

You can even see the Bailey DV24 in that picture too (they're easy to recognise without taking them off because the nipple is at a 90 degree angle whereas it comes straight out of a DV26).
WRT the DV36 venturi unit; I don't think it's supposed to go "whoosh" it's a different design. It should be more like the SQV... almost like a neigh.

Steve Pudney sells a PCV replacement/blanking kit; that's what I have now instead.

Last edited:

cobra10

cheers for that but also got prob with this pic of the pipe to elbow to dump valve, fit isnt right from the pipe to elbow, the pipe isnt a perfect fit around elbow and jubilee clip is as far as it goes and doesnt look like its flush. looks like wrong elbow imo

tried to add a pic for uz to see but it wont let me,just asks for url, do i have to upload to internet first then transfer it over?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Eh?

Do you mean the dump valve is too small for that hose? You can do what I had to and just put a series of smaller bits of hose inside each other, then clamp that with the jubilee clip.

Yes; to insert a picture it needs to be uploaded and hosted somewhere.

cobra10

working backwards from dump valve, dump valve into blue samco hose is fine, blue samco hose into elbow is fine, its the elbow into black pipe where i think the problem is. comparing mine to your i have a 6" length elbow from black pipe to samco to dump valve, whereas yours just looks like the dump valve is straight into black pipe, is that correct?

obviously it doesnt fix the oil prob i think, but it would explain the weird stuttering dump noise i have if the seal isnt tight and the air is leaking out when the pressure goes thru

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
He he he he!
That's what it looks like; actually the dump valve does into a blue hose, inside a blue hose, inside the black hose, with a jubilee clip done up tight on it. Then as the black hose is the standard one (I think), that's attached to the plenum and jubilee clipped down.

I have a HKS SQV (the old one that looks like Star Bug from Red Dwarf rather than the new one), and that sounds like a horse's neigh when it dumps. The old Bailey piston valve used to 'snort' hard every time it dumped. So I think the stuttering dump noise is just the kind of valve you've got.

cobra10

reckon i'm going to change valve and kit for it because i'm not happy with the elbow thats there, though when i boot it the dump is normal, its just when its on standard boost that its not normal, so i'll change it for the hks which most people seem to use and see what happens

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I only went with the HKS because the Bailey was the wrong one and it was messing-up my idle.
I liked the idea behind the sequential valve, and the way it is held closed by boost and opens when you get vacuum on the back of it... but to be honest I liked the sound of the Bailey better. As far as I'm concerned, it's not about the sound, it's about the functionality.