Oil Cooler

matp5

I know I know, this subject has been discussed way too much already! But I can't find the answer I'm looking for by searching old threads...

I'm planning on installing an aftermarket oil cooler and relocating the oil filter at the same time. Is it possible to remove the OE oil cooler (entire cooler, sensors, etc.), loop or block the water lines and install a Mocal take off plate directly on the engine block? Would it fit?

I saw a picture of the back of the engine with OE cooler removed completly and it looked like a take off plate would fit....

Thanks

matp5

I'm getting the feeling that the answer is no if custom take off plates were fabricated..... Are these still available?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
You can replace the OE cooler completely with a take off plate to the oil cooler. I blocked the water feed highlighted in your pic. The aftermarket oil cooler sandwich plate then goes in the space of the OEM cooler. I think there might have been a coupling required to make this work. It's a long time ago but IIRC I fabricated one and Stu bought one. Long time ago so the details aren't clear.

matp5

This pic shows the OE oil take off with aftermarket take off plate where the OE oil cooler is right?

matp5

My goal (if even possible) would be to eliminate all that (OE take off and cooler) and replace with aftermarket take off, installed directly on the block, like this one

Obviously with a cap or plug, then run lines to a filter relocation bracket and thermo sandwich plate to run an oil cooler.

But how many sensors are on the OE take off? Oil temp and oil pressure? I'd have to make sure that the aftermarket take off on the block has a few ports for OE sensors...

MarkTurbo

You can buy a take off like this but there is a bypass valve built into in the standard oil filter housing. Think its been discussed on here before but i can't remember if i was a good or bad idea to remove it :?

I did look for it but the search function seems to be broken!

matp5

Bypass valve built into the OE take off plate.... interesting, what would be the function of this valve?

I know this subject has been discussed before, but after searching for a while, I wasn't able to find answers...

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Slow reply but the example you show in your pic with the oe oil housing and after market oil take off is the same as my setup.

Fusion Ed

Bypass valve is for if the oil filter is blocked, or oil too thick etc. It stops excessive pressure on the oil pump, as it happens, some oil filters have these built in. Standard gtir one doesn't.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think the filter I've got is meant for a Skyline and does have a bypass valve in it. - Sounds like that's overkill, but maybe that's a solution if you're taking the OE housing out and relocating the filter?