Oil change with oil cooler?

G

GTI-R Kid

Might sound like a strange question, but since I've never seen it asked, mentioned or referred to I thought I'd bite the bullet.:oops:

Whats the story with doing an oil change when you have an oil cooler fitted? Is there any way to ensure that all the old oil is out of the system? I'm guessing that the oil only ever flows through the cooler when the engine is running and the oil pump is pushing the oil around the system - so does this not mean that when the engine is off there is some oil left in the cooler and cooler lines?

Is it just a case of replacing all you can from the sump and living with the fact that every time you do an oil change, there'll always be whatever volume of oil the cooler and lines hold that won't be replaced?

O

Odin

I just drain the engine oil from the sump, I'm not buggering about taking coolers off everytime.....

If you change the oil often enough then the small amount left in the line's and cooler shouldn't be a problem, I've never had any problems mate...

And with a top mount cooler I'd of thought that the oil would drain back anyway.

Rob

mad max

doing a oil and filter change i think it takes 3.7 litres do i need to add extra for the top mount oil cooler

sadsy

Yea i put in bout 3.7 ltr and its at the max level with front mounted oil cooler, I left mine draining for 1 week with the oil cooler housing off, 'Propa drained i tell thee'