Oil Breathers - suggestions?

geetee

I'm getting a fair coating of oil in my inlet and IC. SO I suspect the standard separator is not doing it's job.

Anyone have any opinions to choose between a vent to air type breather filter compared to an after market separator with catch tank??

ANy suggestions?

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

A

Anonymous

look on takakiara and search rnn14 the cusco oil catch tank is 91 dollars and looks tastey, i bought the spec r one 140stg(doh), and its fairely eary to fit too.

A

Anonymous

there`s also the 1 from from forge,which is nice and shiney :wink:

zia

i ,ve just modified mine with custom halford catch tank :lol: vented to atmos the thing is at idle it bit wierd as it occasionaly ok, then lumpy, where before it was ok, also i,ve noticed my oil pressure is higher than normal, saving for cusco item,venting atmos is only partially doing the job due no vaccum actaully pulling the gas out of the crankcase which increases oil on crank.

zia

geetee

I see....

so dumping the whole lot out to atmos via a filter is not good.

The vac from the inlet actually assists in relieving the crankcase pressure?

I knew it wouldn't be as simple as it looks.... never is, is it!!

Bugger.

I'm still puzzled over the standard design.

A breather pipe runs from the rocker sraight to the inlet tract. Tee'd off that is a pipe to the separator which has a return pipe to the sump.

Surely even on idle most gases go straight on to the inlet. And under heavy right foot they are sucked in there.

How does the separator circuit ever work??

I've seen on Honda Integra and Scooby sites they waffle on about the SPV valve when talking about breathers.... wtf is an SPV?? Also they waffle on about 1 way valves so boost pressure doesn't pressurise the crankcase.

Surely you can only dump this stuff into the inlet track before the MAF... ie before it is pressurised??

Perhaps these cars have a different Air Flow sensor mechanism????

Anyone know??

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

M

Mart

The SPV is the the one (if looking under bonnet) that is up and to the left of the oil filler cap, sticking out of the rocker cover with a pipe on it.

Its a one way valve to allow pressure out of the rocker not in

hope that helps
Mart

A

AJ4

My rocker cover has been vented to atmosphere for over 18 months, all the inlet pipes have been blanked off as well, just leaving a single pipe at the right hand side. Not had any running problems at all, and my intercooler is sparkly clean :D 8)

Keira

geetee said:
I see....

A breather pipe runs from the rocker sraight to the inlet tract. Tee'd off that is a pipe to the separator which has a return pipe to the sump.

Surely even on idle most gases go straight on to the inlet. And under heavy right foot they are sucked in there.

How does the separator circuit ever work??

GeeTee 8)
I might be wrong :wink: but the standard seperator actually seperates oil vapour from the crankcase, like you say, there is a TEE at a right angle to the rocker cover. Oily vapour isn't clever enough to send itself down to the standard seperator and would just get drawn along into the inlet as thats where the most sucking comes from :shock: unless of course you've got a £20 a trick hooker in your footwell :lol:

There was something quite in depth about the standard set up on the yahoo groups some time ago

like ross mine basically vents to atmosphere with no problems, i have my my top notch quality catchtank in place and im probably going to run a hose back to the inlet if i can be @rsed just to help it pull through.

zia

from what i can understand , you,ve got two forms of vaccum operating for the breather system, on the front of the engine you,ve got the crankcase breather which is pulled out by vaccum formed by comp inlet, vaccum which will be greater than the vaccum acting in the throttle plates,that thing next to exhaust mani is sort of expansion tank for crankcase air which is scavenged, when vaccum build either turbo inlet or when throttle are shut! most of the oil comes from the rocker cover which is segmented with cover on the top side.idle issue could be because of the way it been mapped with breather all contected up which might make difference to a/f value.there no way on stopping oil coming from the rocker unless catch tank is placed in front of it!

zia