octane rating

mattytappy

how can we know what we are buying?......ie is there any device that doesnt cost the earth to be able to test the octane levels in the fuel.....only ask as ive found a tescos not to far from me with there super super unleaded.....i think its 102ron or a bit higher than shell vpower...either way they love ripping us of anyhow so whats stopping them doing it with the ron rating and charging us more:roll:...

Fusion Ed

Fuel quality is quite strictly controlled. You don't really have anything to worry about. Tesco 99 is guaranteed to be at least that. There is no easy way to test this other than with the MON/RON methods which lets say, are not exactly viable for a normal person!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
You know how sometimes the pumps at a filling station are really slow and then somewhere else are really fast.............................

I remember a story I read in the paper a few years ago about a local (texico I think it was) garage had been charging for fuel dispensed in the normal way but for days one of the pumps on the forecourt was faulty and not actually dispensing even half the amount of fuel it should have been but going by the digital readout was dispensing it accurately. It was only discovered by customer who had gone to fill a plastic petrol can.

So, going back to what I originally said, it's not the octane rating that goes through my mind when topping up, it's how accurate are these petrol pumps that we all take for granted and assume are correct.

Fusion Ed

The van I now drive before I owned it was a government vehicle used for testing fuel quality (and quantity) at petrol stations. I have always wondered how accurate pumps really are.

stumo

Pumps have to be accurate to +1%/-0.5%.

Ours get checked by the local trading standards atleast once a year.

If you ever think you've had a short delivery then a call to the trading standards will have them checking the pump/s.

Last edited:

mattytappy

well now you say that...it does make you wonder.....i just dont trust any big multi national company as you can almost guarentee they do pinch the odd :roll: penny here and there and with all the pumps they have all those pennys add up..to millions....anyway getting back on thread the fuel quality is what concerns me most as obviously i run a mines ecu and have played with differnt fuels to try and get the best octane rating to match the jap stuff......personaly i have found that tescos99 with octane booster....not that i rely on that to make up the octane rating( more just to stabalize the mixture) has had the best running properties and has had the best effect on the car overall in regards to how the power feels and idling and not getting so many pops and bangs out the back...not that i mind that but i dont want it sound like antilag all the time:-D...i havent as yet tryed the bp ultimate 102 but i cant find anywhere near me that does it......but when i find it,...it will be interesting to see what it does for the afr readings....so as far as anyone knows ther is no way of testing the ron rating of the product we all invest in so much....there must be a way surley:doh:

Fusion Ed

A brief explanation, and why its not exactly easy for you to test the octane rating yourself...

Measurement methods

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).

mattytappy

cheers edd....i guess thats a no then unless i want my own labaratory engine on my work bench......why dont you like octane booster thenkf79gtir......i know that alot of them dont increase the rating but the one i use definatly helps....i think...we shall see soon....after the big bang probably...te he

KF79GTIR

5th gear did a very strict in lab test on a few different ones not so long ago & it made less power with booster so make your own mind up.

Kev.