Norris designs GRP A fuel pump

eastwood

Ive just pulled this Bosch pump out of a car and have a recipt from Norris Designs saying its a GRP A fuel pump.

Its a Bosch pump just wondered if anyone knows if this pump is better than a Walbro?

I have both and want to fit the better one to my car.

See pic with BOSCH numbers.

stumo

It's the same pump as an 044 but has the base as the intake, not the best pump for the R fuel tank but it's a much better pump than a walbro.

eastwood

It's the same pump as an 044 but has the base as the intake, not the best pump for the R fuel tank but it's a much better pump than a walbro.

Yep thats it the whole base is the intake no pickup or bag I assume this because the pump isnt submerged into the tank enough resulting in fuel surge.

I think I saw one before another member had with an additional alloy pickup but it was a fabricated pickup.

So I guess its either make sure you Ive got plenty of fuel in or the walbro?

stumo

I'd find a way of using the pump TBH as you still get fuel surge with the walbro.....

vss irvine

if the walbro is fitted right, and as low as possible in the tank then you should only get fuel surge when its low,

at the oulton park track day, we finally got surge when the tank was down to 1/8th fuel level at the end of the day.

eastwood

I didnt pay much more for the donor car LOL

will dig the recipt ot maybe it was a group B its a bit blurry after beer.

splmum

A simple search here

http://motors-parts.shop.ebay.co.uk...icles_CarParts_SM&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_rdc=1

identified numerous Bosch 040 (intank), Bosch 044 (External or intank), and Bosch 984 (intank) which I run and never had one ounce of problem, and all for at least half the price. Somebody makes a nice profit from "seen them coming" customers.

Oh, I paid less than 100 quid for mine in australia from a local dealer.

Saying they are Grp A or B is just sales hype, anything to get your hard earned dosh out of your pocket and into their's with big mark-ups.

eastwood

which I run and never had one ounce of problem,

Have you done any track days with it with low fuel in the tank?

D.

splmum

which I run and never had one ounce of problem,

Have you done any track days with it with low fuel in the tank?

D.
Should clarify, I run the Bosch 984 which has the extension hose and the sock fitted to the pickup end, exactly the same setup as the original pump.

And yes it has been to a couple of trackdays (at Wakefield Park NSW and on the drag strip at WSID - western Sydney international dragway) and after over 8 years of ownership I have never suffered fuel stavation, yet! or that I have felt, and I would say that if it hic-cupped it is something that could not be mistaken.

And driving it regularly, it will often take 47-48 litres (10-1/2 gallons), but that may be because I don't drive it hard enough, must try harder.

Somewhere, I will try and find it, there is a write-up about a simple surge box made out of a plastic milk container that fits onto the bottom of the fuel pump (with the sock in it) that keeps fuel in the box on tight left/right turns and stops all the fuel sloshing away from the pickup.

splmum

the writeup was by a member here, austingtir , from New Zealand. Contact him and he may put the info on here or tell you how he did it.

P

pulsarboby

there is a write-up about a simple surge box made out of a plastic milk container that fits onto the bottom of the fuel pump (with the sock in it) that keeps fuel in the box on tight left/right turns and stops all the fuel sloshing away from the pickup.

seriously! that is an extremely good idea, im gonna try that myself, but use something a little better than a milk bottle:lol:

you would need to make holes in it though so fuel flowed into it quick enough but would take a while to drain back out again.

darren....i had one of those pumps (sold it to pesh90) think thats the one your talking about with custom fabricated tube. it supposedly came from a skybarge that was running over 600bhp and it is one powerfull little pump if you adapt the end (maybe a little too powerfull for whats needed really) thats why i flogged it