Noise from new clutch

Sye

Hi hoping someone may know, figure its gonna be box off anyway but thought someone in here may have had an issue similar, when i broke my first clutch launching the car, i replaced it with an organic exedy (genuine) and i had this problem which i just assumed was because it was a new clutch, anyway when i pull off in the car i get this horrible sound, its hard to describe but sounds like when you have noisey brakes on your bicycle (screeching sound).

this noise happens when im pulling the car off on the bite and even worse when the car is cold and the clutch has done around 10k miles probably more since it was fitted

after hearing vpulsar mention about clutch release bearings for silvias made me wonder if i have the right bearing in.

does any know what this noise could be?

Thanks in advance

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Is it a cermometalic plate? They sound absolutely terrible on the bite, but they're more durable that the standard "organic" clutch material.

Sye

thanks for the replies, i guess the only sure fire way it just replace the whole unit again, the clutch use to make more of a grinding noise in every gear change at higher revs when it was first fitted which i thought may have been just the breaking in process but that should be passed it now, im unsure of what the material of the clutch is it was just a stage 1 organic which i figure is just a standard replacement which also slips slightly when the noise happens

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You haven't had clutch fluid leaking onto it have you? - I had a clutch fall apart because the fluid attacked the organic friction pad material; the noise in that case was the rivets scraping against the pressure plate... although I only found that out when a piece of the friction pad jammed in the "fingers" so it wouldn't release.

Sye

not that im aware of everything was done properly and with best of care, everything was cleaned and clutch was fitted straight from box, only thing we didnt do was clean the flywheel which i think we should have done.

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Yep, the clutch material is trying to bite on a glazed polished surface , I suspect it has glazed the clutch plate as well and that is your noise on take up and reason for slippage.

Sye

thanks for the replies guys, guess its box off again and just replace everything..

@doc yeah i guess this sounds just like what has happened, should have skimmed it :(

thanks again

steve963

ive got same clutch and i didnt skim, mine vibrates quite bad on a quick pull off, but otherwise fine. thing ill deglaze with a high speed clutch burnout!! lol