Noise after turning off engine - clutch?

CruiseGTi-R

When I turn off the engine at idle there is a rotating scraping noise that carries on for a few seconds.

If I put it in 1st gear, then pop the clutch just after the engine is off while the noise is happening, the noise stops straight away. So i'm thinking its clutch related.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Toby

gtirx2

What clutch are you using?

I use a hks clutch cover and that used to do the same sort of thing,it was the cover just catching on the inside of the gearbox casing.

I think this is a comman problem if you use a clutch that was orginally designed for the s14 200sx.

You just need to grind away a very small amount from the inside of the gearbox bellhousing, as it only just toutches in one place.

CruiseGTi-R

Doesn't sound too bad if it is that.

To me it sounds like a dry, worn out bearing sort of noise.

Also should say that when the car is cold on start up, if I press the clutch right down you get a knocking/catching too, which goes away once its warm.

Last edited:

iomegalinux

do you have an upgraded turbo, i would think it's more a turbo spining sound. (only apply for a ball bearing)
maybe try give some good rev, and shut engine off, if the sound is a longer, it would be the turbo.

REDTOm

as above what turbo do you have? if its a bearing turbo youl have a spinning noise after you turn it off as the turbo spins down

CruiseGTi-R

The noise stops if you pop the clutch (once the engine is off), so it's not the turbo (which is what I originally thought too).

Worn release bearing sounds possible. What are the other symptoms of this?

I do get a new noise at high revs which I think could be related.

Animaldaz

Worn release bearing will normally be noisy when depressing the clutch. The rest of the time it's not doing anything.