No Spark???

R

ryan_george

Hey I bought an 'R which needed all of the engine components refitting, which meant plugging in all the electronics and fitting a box full of bits. In doing so I have left a few pieces which I can't identify there location. 1 being what looks like a Knock sensor and various plugs around the engine bay. There are two purple plugs by where the air con pipes go through the bulk head, I'm not sure where these go.
Mainly though there is no spark when turning the engine over. If I do the fault code check will it show up any faults with regards to the engine??

Any ideas what is required to make it spark? Is there a check list?

R

ryan_george

I've just done the fault code test and i have 11 12 21 34 come up it seems like every sensor i connect it then comes up in the fault test. Is there something wrong which is common to all these eg ecu or something??

R

ryan_george

okay getting worked up with this thing now, its been a long day working on it and have achieved nothing,

found stupid things like when i knock the gear lever inside the car, it brings the fuel pump on again, then goes off again. so swapped the two plugs from gearbox and distributor round and now that problem has gone.

does the exhaust gas sensor need to be connected for it to spark? (just i have a different exhaust)

still have fault codes 11 12 21 34, what one thing is common to all of these? Earthing? i've checked these but don't know where exactly they all should be, is there a list available?

cheers in advance

Ryan

R

ryan_george

yeah a mate of mine knows a mate with one so i'll try to borrow his for an evening, where is the pickup for the crank on these, is it taken off of the flywheel through the gearbox housing?

R

ryan_george

heellpp!!! This is screwing with my head now.......

F

Fusion Ed

Hey,
Relax! The system really isnt that confusing. First of all the crank angle sensor and cam sensor is in the distributor. If you get a CAS error that will by why. With out this working you will get NOTHING. - no injector firing and no spark. So you need to see what is wrong here first. First thing to check is with the ignition on do you get 12v on any of the pins on the CAS plug from the loom. You need to be sure that its being powered to work. I dont have my diagrams with me just now, but there should be 4 pins from memory. 12v, Ground, then youll have a crank and cam outputs. There are several ways to test its working. Possibly the easist way is to remove the distributor, disconnect the coil, plug it in, with the ignition ON turn the rotor drive clockwise with the drive facing you and you should hear the fuel pump turn on and the injectors fire.

If you really get stuck get in contact.

In answer to your other questions, you dont need the lambda OR the knock sensor to get a spark. I would also check your getting the correct voltages around the coil to see why your getting code 21.

Ed

R

ryan_george

okay, well i've tested the CAS by following the procedure above, i can hear the fuel pump begin to run and then the four injectors begin to run each in turn within a 360 degree rotation. i know that the two interchangable plugs are correct because i tried swapping these over and then doing the said test and nothing worked so i guess they were correct. put them back correctly.
done a fault code check and still get the same faults, 11, 12, 21 and 34.
I have a few plugs around by the throttle position senson which are not plugged into anything, this is what they are:

one brown two pin socket, blue and white cables,
one purple two pin socket, yellow with black line and black cable,

both of which come out of the same piece of loom.

also have one black two pin socket, black with red line and blue with yellow line cables,

this come out of the same piece of loom as the CAS socket.

I'm now beginning to wonder if i'm missing a piece of loom.

Any ideas? I'd take a photo but i can't post them on here.

R

ryan_george

what is the injector eesistor pack? where can i find that?

Gray

its a small silver box located near the passenger side strut about the size of a mars bar towards top top of the engine bay

R

ryan_george

do you mean the dropping resistor, mounted on the passenger side inner wing?

R

ryan_george

sorry should have refreshed my page then would have seen your reply... yeah that is plugged in, the only thing is, i cant see my ignition amplifier. I thing that i missing, just found the plug for it, would this canuse the problems i'm having?

R

ryan_george

so without it would i not have a spark and would it get those fault codes coming up? anybody know?

R

ryan_george

okay well i guess i'm going to have to get me one of these then, anybody got one in the kent area and i'll come buy it off you?
i just want to see some sparks now...