No clutch after storage

warringtonjack

Hi Guys

I got the Pulsar up and running after about 18 months stored in the garage. A quick charge up of the battery and she started first time. But when I pressed the clutch pedal it was as if it was really stiff at the top of the pedal range, and then all of a sudden, it went straight to the floor. Now there's no pressure on the pedal at all. It still goes into all gears when the engine is turned off. I've checked for any movement on the clutch fork, and there is a very small amount of movement right at the bottom of the pedal range when the pedal is fully depressed. The fluid level looks ok.

I have an OS Giken twin plate, and I'm worried that the clutch plate might have seized onto the flywheel. Or could it be a master cylinder issue?

Any suggestions what it's likely to be? I'd rather not have to take the gearbox out if I can help it!

bevis

Probably a rubber in either the slave cylinder or clutch master cylinder died after that 18 months.. Your clutch should be good still, it's just a matter of finding which rubber or cylinder has gone bad and replacing it.

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe check for obvious leaks first then try bleeding it. I assume you haven't snapped the pedal box or anything?

shroom

I know you might have already but have you manually grabbed the clutch pedal and pumped it for a bit, I had this issue once snd that sorted it out.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Is the OS Gilken a series of metal plates, or so they have friction pads on them. - If they're metal-on-metal I guess it's possible they've rust-welded solid, but if not I'd guess the seals on the master cylinder have blown (seeing as you can't see anything on the slave cylinder).

shroom

Mine has just done this today! been sitting for 8 or so months. Did notice it last time I moved it but after pumping it a few times it came back without any problems. Would it be the master cylinder or something else I can look at?

sparkie

My advice would be check for leaks& if none most likely master cylinder as you would normally
spot fluid leaking from the slave cylinder.

vpulsar

Best bet is change both slave and master cylinders just to be on the safe side and why your at it why not fit a braided clutch hose then you known everything is hunky dory lol.

red reading

Check the rubber hose if fitted for ballooning , also after all the master and slave checks are done, take a picture of the slave and fork top position as you may have had the clutch fork or pivot fail

shroom

Check the rubber hose if fitted for ballooning , also after all the master and slave checks are done, take a picture of the slave and fork top position as you may have had the clutch fork or pivot fail
Cheers for all the replies guys, much appreciated. Does anyone have any tips on were a good place is to get the master and slave from at a reasonable price?

Hopefully the clutch fork has not failed as I had it strengthened as per someones guide when we replaced it.

red reading

Nissan or Eric's performance on ebay....you used to be able to buy rebuild kits as well to salvage the old stuff and it will work providing the cylinder bore's are not scored, and good ridge and hel make the line...but if you can get to a good motorsport shop like merlin or auto cross they can supply the fittings and line to do it yourself .

Gtir dave

Had this with my car after 6 years in garage the pedal was to the floor and I couldn't pump it. So Ipoppet the hood and the rubber gater on the clutch fork and put a long bar and give the clutch a tap tap and that was that hope this helps

shroom

Had this with my car after 6 years in garage the pedal was to the floor and I couldn't pump it. So Ipoppet the hood and the rubber gater on the clutch fork and put a long bar and give the clutch a tap tap and that was that hope this helps
Hi Dave, what part did you tap. I have been down to the lockup today and gave the clutch fork a few taps and the clutch slave cylinder could be pushed in and then would slowly come back out is this normal or should you not be able to move it in with your hand.

Still no clutch,

Fluid is full,
Slave cylinder not showing any signs of leaking (no oil on rubber boot)
Checked pipework and no visible bulge
Clutch goes right to the floor

Would it be best to try and change the slave and bleed the system with some fresh oil and see how I go? how big of a job is the master? seems like it could be a pain

Last edited:

shroom

Just to update.

Bled the whole system for fking ages, no luck.

Sourced a replacement clutch slave cylinder and fitted, bled system and all seems to be working fine.

Symptoms were, clutch pedal goes straight to floor, system was not leaking and slave seemed to look ok itself. Replaced slave and issue resolved.