Nitto NT01 Tyres

LTLRKT

Ok so im looking at 215 45Z R17 in the Nitto NT01's on 17x8 wheels.

Few questions:

1. Has anyone had any experience with Nitto's.. i cant seem to find a bad word about them. (I've read some reviews that have pushed me away from the r888's)

2. Will 225 45Z R17 fit or will it rub?

3. Am i going with the right type of tyre? The car is not a daily driver and it will (hopefully) never see wet roads. It will only come out to play at either one of the local tracks on odd weekends, or much more often on the crazy mountain roads surrounding Barcelona hunting for fancy production cars..

Really need some advice on this as i dont want to end up with a tyre that is too much race for the street.. but i need something thats going to deal with the 400+ wheel hp, as the car is now FWD. Someone mentioned Toyo Proxes RA-1 but Im not sure they will provide the grip im after.

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've heard of Netto... but I don't think they sell tyres.

Joking aside, aren't they just an alternative Toyo brand (like Admiral are the budget label for Kuhmo, although I'd guess these are not their budget brand)?
I'm pretty sure the NT01 actually is an R888 but with a different tread design (from my brief googling).

Toyo T1R = Nitto NT555
Toyo RA1 = Nitto NT555R
Toyo R888 = Nitto NT01

LTLRKT

Thanks for the imput Pobody

Ok im aware that Toyo is the owner of Nitto and ive read the same thing about the tyres being the same but treads being different. But ive also read the compound is also slightly different on some of them.

For example I found online a person that had tested nt01's and r888's and his opinion was that the r888's heat cycle out much faster than the nt01's. His advice was the for 'more' street driven high power cars the nt01 was a better choice, as they will not heat clycle out as quickly as the r888.. The r888 was for more track only orientated cars.

I also found alot of different forums, from porche to bmw to corvettes, people using r888's complaining that the tyre has lost its grip after numerous heat cylces (8-10!) even though there is plenty of tread left. Where as i found alot less about this for the NT01 and alot more positive reviews.

Well it looks like I'll just have to burn through a few sets of different tyres and see what works best for me.

John

Surely though with R888's being the most popular track tyre around there is going to be far more negative (and positive) reviews around simply as an effect of much more people having used and abused that tyre where as a tyre like the Nitto which is less known and only sold in certain countries is going to have far less positive and thus negative feedback and thus seem like a better option.

I cant see Toyo's budget tyre track tyre out performing there premium track tyre, but then thats not to say it doesnt.

LTLRKT

good point... I didnt think of that!

ok so for a car that will only be driven on weekends, spend time on local race tracks, but most likely see more time on the road. hard driving in the mountains etc.

Should i go the r888's or the ra1's?