nismo low temp thermo stat???

johnsy

Can any one shed any light on these thermo stats?

are they worth it or a waist of money?

depending on the outcome of this thread there may be a group buy available if there is enough interest,I personally thought they were a good idea especially for a track car,But id like the opinion of people who have tried and tested them

thanks dan

Last edited:

geoff pine

This is one that comes up now and then good for track car :thumbsup: waste of time and petrol on a road car :doh: more so now we are heading in to winter

johnsy

been offered a group buy deal of 50gbp + vat for 5 or more, Just me and the boys were de-bating this the other night and could nt come to a conclusion,

could some one tell me the pro's and con's please ?

I found a thread saying you could get em from a local motor factors for a few quid, i guess there rated by temp, but if some could varify either way that would be great

thanks Dan

geoff pine

According to google nismo stat opens at 62c standard opens at 76.5 c this is from the nismo web site.The problem with this on a road car more so at this time of the year is your car will struggle to get to its normal operating temp (bigger fuel bills .I'm sure not getting your oil up to operating temps will cause other problems .

johnsy

yeah im aware of the operating temps but was nt sure on cold weather running, for the sake of a few degree's i might juts give it a miss, i already have an oil cooler fitted and have to cover that up if and when i use my car in bad weather(like last year)

just thought it might be a handy edition for trackdays, i tend to go out on track for 20-30 min periods

thanks Dan

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I found a thread saying you could get em from a local motor factors for a few quid, i guess there rated by temp, but if some could varify either way that would be great
I think that's true. - I'm not sure about the sizing (for the fit), but there's almost always a range of thermostats available that open at different ranges from a motor factor's.

I'm not sure what Nismo add to it (other than packaging); they're a pretty simple device all-in-all.

gtirx2

Not that i can remember much lol as it was a long time back, but i to was looking into ways of keeping the car extra cool on track.

My plan was/is proberly the same as yours with larger water pump pulley and nismo stat for the track, and also making some radiator cooling panels for the sides and top of the rad like the group n cars to help force more air through the rad.

I never really got around to testing the pulley and stat but i cant see it hurting on a track car tbh,as long as you oil temp are high enough.

On a road car its proberly a waste of time especially if your oil temps are not getting very hot,i think you need around 95c-100c oil temps for moisture and condensation in the oil to burn off successfully.

I think this is why some cars with catch tanks fill with water over time, due to proberly having an oil cooler and doing short journeys not allowing the oil to get hot enough to burn of the condensation,which is proberly not great for the engine over time tbh.

The other thing that was of intrest at the time was the cooling circult of the engine and the water circuit from the back of the head.
I cant remember this is great detail but i think this water circuit never go's through the rad, and the hot water just ends up going back into the stat housing through a tiny hole and then it mixes with the water that been through the rad.

The other route this hot water circuit from the back of the head can take is through the heater matrix, then back into the pipe after the the stat that has been through the rad.
The trouble with this route is that when you heater is set to cold(like it is on a track day) there is a valve in the heater matrix that closes and stops this route from cirulating.
So basicly i think there maybe a benifit (for a track car) from looping the heater hoses and bypassing the matrix so that this circuit is constantally flowing.

You will lose the benifit from the extra water capacity,but most people are running a larger rad on a track car anyhow,i also dont think the water in the matrix is doing much anyhow when it closed.

That was my plans anyhow lol,if they are correct is a different matter lmao.