5GTIR

Hi all......

I'm thinking I want to up the power a bit, my engine spec is as follows

Induction kit
Turbo back exhaust
FMIC with hard pipes
Uprated fuel pump
1 bar boost via ball valve

I was told by the guy I bought the car off that its running about 280bhp which feels about right. I want to up the power to maby somewhere around 320bhp without upping the boost or changing the turbo just yet (3071R in the future). This is my first SR motor and although I have a pretty good knowledge of tuning, it would be nice to know the thoughts from some of you that have experience with the R and what modifications it responds to best. I've seen a few people are running upwards of 320bhp on the standard turbo and a bar of boost, so I would like to know the thoughts of some of you. I was thinking maybe better elbow, stage 1 cams?

Thanks

Ben

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
:search:

There are about a million questions a week on this subject.

Use the search button and all will be answered

gtir_pimp

turbo elbow would give better flow and a boost controller will be better than a bleed valve as it wont drop off boost pressure. cams need extra head work to get the most from them so unless you want to remove the head, then forget the cams for now

5GTIR

Using the search................I'm pretty certain I've seen people running 320bhp on a bar of boost with the standard turbo. Anyone shed light on this?

youngsyp

5GTIR said:
Using the search................I'm pretty certain I've seen people running 320bhp on a bar of boost with the standard turbo. Anyone shed light on this?
Mine's running about that at 1.1 bar, with the TMIC. I'd expect to see a bit more at the same boost level, with an FMIC fitted. Maybe 330 bhp, if the engines strong and the rest of your mods will support it !

Paul

5GTIR

youngsyp said:
Mine's running about that at 1.1 bar, with the TMIC. I'd expect to see a bit more at the same boost level, with an FMIC fitted. Maybe 330 bhp, if the engines strong and the rest of your mods will support it !

Paul
What spec are you running to get that power?

Ben

youngsyp

5GTIR said:
What spec are you running to get that power?

Ben
I have a custom 3" elbow and downpipe fitted, tapering down to 2.5" just after the flexi section. It has a small silencer where the cat as and a canister type silencer at the rear. The downpipe is lagged.

A Blitz SUS induction kit is fitted and the boost is set at around 1.1 bar on an Apexi AVCR.

I've lagged the TMIC and the turbo to I/C pipe. I've also internally enlarged and smoothed the turbo to I/C pipe and the inlet and outlet of the TMIC. The TMIC also has a heat shield fitted under the 'cold' side.

And my figures were attained on a dyno day at Surrey Rolling Road, who use a Dyno Dynamics dyno. All the the other guys on the day got realistic results from there set ups, apart from gtirx2 who was actually a bit down on what he expected iirc ?!

So, the dyno certainly wasn't 'generous' ! ;-)

Paul

Fusion Ed

I didn't think id ever see 340 on a stock turbo, But i have and now I do. Simple as that. It would not have done it on stock AFM or injectors. But with FMIC remap and the rest of the minor mods it did.

Fusion Ed

I had not tried to be honest. The basic answer was that asking a oem part to perform +120 bhp on what it was designed for seemed a bit optimistic. However in reality it seemed fine, in fact the only reason we didnt attempt any more was due to it being a stock engine, and a problem that was later discovered to be a loose earth.

DanDud

Iv managed to get 330bhp out of mine on the standard turbo so it is possible with a strong engine and good supporting mods.

5GTIR

Micra Ed said:
I didn't think id ever see 340 on a stock turbo, But i have and now I do. Simple as that. It would not have done it on stock AFM or injectors. But with FMIC remap and the rest of the minor mods it did.
What size injectors were being used to obtain that figure 555?, I assume thats using a Z32 AFM? what were the other supporting mods, same stuff as I listed at the beggining of the thread? I understand from reading a few other threads that you re-map standard ECU's!, where are you located and what sort of money do you charge?

Thanks

Ben :thumbsup:

5GTIR

nimhbk said:
560s from a evo 8 and yes a z32 maf fella, thanks to Ed goes like a dream know
So the Evo injectors fit straight in then!....... Hmm.......... Looks like I need a Z32, Evo injectors and some Ed time!

Where is he located and how much does he charge? :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

5GTIR

Do you know what duty cycle your injectors were working at? I actually have a set of 510cc injectors knocking about, wonder if they might do the trick or whether I should just get some Evo injectors?