new turbo

nimhbk

so if buying a new turbo which one to purchase got a normal engine running 1bar. you all talk about hybrid ball bearing, so which one

nimhbk

all quite normal inside the block, have a fmic, hks green air thing, and just had a greedy id boost controller and fuel pump fitted, my normal turbo seems to want to blow off the engine, second time it had to be tighted up,

rossdj1983

thats just down to loose bolts mate, not a blown tubby. id have look at uprating the clutch before going any further with the motor- just my opinion

nimhbk

dont go there had the car a year and half, got it of a guy called oliver clark not sure if he was on this site he had a 4 paddle clutch put on it a couple of weeks before i picked it up, it has now do 2000 max miles on it and slips all the time, and i am a sunday driver so i have not cooked it... but it was a Techniclutch so i will say no more

rossdj1983

get what you pay for mate, as i say id be looking at the clutch before doing the motor, it no good having all the bhp in the world and not being able to put it down

MarkTurbo

Techniclutch :doh: The best thing you could do with that is take it off and throw it in the nearest bin ;-)

houghy_1

For clutch: try an RPS Max Street clutch for around £300 with new release bearing.
Good for 475lb/ft of torque and its organic not paddle.

For turbo: You could try Hiteq for Ian's Stage 2 turbo for an exchange of £550,standard turbo housing with his spec done to it.

Hope that helps.

Matt

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
houghy_1 said:
For turbo: You could try Hiteq for Ian's Stage 2 turbo for an exchange of £550,standard turbo housing with his spec done to it.
What are they like, do they offer power all the way to redline or do they tail off?

Could they be compared to a 2871?

Last edited:

PaulB

i doubt you could compare it with a new gt series turbo. I dont know what ian does to it, but the fact there 17years old for starters doesnt do em no favours.

houghy_1

fubar andy said:
What are they like, do they offer power all the way to redline or do they tail off?

Could they be compared to a 2871?
Couldnt tell you mate you'd have to ask someone who has one,
Try phil aka seasider r he's running at 1.2 bar on ian's stage 2.

Pulls like a train and sees off TVR's;-)

As for them being 17 years old????

Think the only thing thats 17 years old when it comes back is the housing.

Matt

M

Mondorno

Where did you find a Hiteq Stage 2 Turbo Upgrade?
On their website, there is only a Stage 1 Upgrade Kit for 550quid?

houghy_1

Stage 1 or stage 2 are the same turbo, ive probably got it wrong:der:

Like i said i dont have one or know the figures but its a good upgrade to the standard turbo to Ian's own spec.

Only guy that will know the figures regarding bhp @ what boost will be ian but then theres a lot more to take into account with the build and tune of your set up,boost controller,piggy back ecu etc......

Just think its a good step if your not wanting to go mega power and get a GT3071 (or similar) and over 400bhp.