new owner but not a pulsar..

ohc_turbo

Hi, ive just purchased a nissan bluebird sss attesa (U12) tihs comes with the same setup as the pulsar, a few diffrences such as diffrent inlet manifold and as i could see a smaller intercooler, a t25G is standard and power is at 208bhp or there abouts

i thought as ive got the same running gear as you lot you could help me even though its not a pulsar, i think im the only one with a U12 sss in the uk so info on this car is hard to get?

i have a few Q's about the car mechanicaly

i have a very short gearbox, an example is i cant get 60mph in second and i havent done it as of yet as its still got the limiter but it looks like it would top out at around 120mph? can anyone shed some light on what the ratios are?

the only way i can think of getting more top end is to change to a normal pulsar box and rear diff but im thinking of putting slightly bigger wheels on it to gear it up a bit at the mo.

also what is the rear diff on these is it a R160 or a R180 and is it a viscous or a clutch?, the subarus i think have a r160 diff and off the top of my head its clutch, whats the simalaritys of the two?

the last q, ive done a search but i can find anything, the 112 limit, apparently ive heard that on the gearbox there is a plug, it tells when youre in 4th and 5th and knows when you hit 112. apparently if you unplug it it just thinks youre in 3rd and no limit, has anyone played about with this?

thanks for help

i have more q's as its proper JDM at the mo like i need a band expander and need to delimit it.

Gray

Why do you want a higher top end - do you not like your license?
Id rather have a quick accelerating car than one that goes fast top end cos youre asking for trouble and you hardly ever get safe conditions in order to reach it

Dooie Pop Pop

welcome to the club fella!:welcome: :wave:

sounds like you have a close ratio box like Fastguys, you could pm him for an opinion. fitting a standard gtir box will slow you down a little.

its a viscous diff iirc but im not really a reliable source of information so wait for someone else to confirm lol.

you can buy an indash delimiter that' ll sort your topend out but for 8mph is it really worth it? unless you wanna go on a track that is.

the only plug that goes into the gtir box is the reverse gear switch as far as im aware.

hope that helps, Stu:)

ps we share the same birthday!:-D

Last edited:

ohc_turbo

lol on the birthday, im not that bothered about the gear ratios to be honest, its good for sprints and quarter miles etc. but at the end of the day its like its got the power and its a bit of a waste, i presume these boxes are fairly rare then or were they standard fitment on all JDM pulsars cos there limited to 112 over there anyway? thats what i though anyway

i wouldnt like to do a top end run anyway, i like my engine and licence in one piece.

however it does give a false sense of rapidness as it goes through the gears like a nutter, i dont know wherther this is good or bad

id like to hear more about this indash delimiter as its like hitting a brickwall atm

really like the car though, the sr20det feels much better than a ca18det (i also have a 180sx), its all about the low down and mid grunt its got i think.

cheers

Dooie Pop Pop

the box is kinda rare tbh and its not really a false sense of rapidness as Fast(ish)guy will tell you.

if you want lots of low down grunt then may i suggest you get yourself a boost upgrade and a frontmount;) there is loads you can do with these engines plus the online support in second to none! thats us btw;)

done properly(not too much needed really could end up quite cheap) you could easily be driving around with 300+bhp to play with...LOL@ the sleeper datsun turbo:twisted:

any chance you could put some pics up in the gallery just so we could have a gander like?:)

ohc_turbo

definatly a sleeper, going to nick the boost gauge out of the 180 possible tonight and see what its doing, ive seen the drill a hole in the soloniod mod, is this really advisable to a standard engine? or would colder plugs and timing and stuff like that have to be done first, really want to get a fmic and a exhaust and a decent oil pressure gauge before i start fiddling

will post some pics up hopefully tonight, if it does not rain

Dooie Pop Pop

ohc_turbo said:
is this really advisable to a standard engine? or would colder plugs and timing and stuff like that have to be done first, really want to get a fmic and a exhaust and a decent oil pressure gauge before i start fiddling

will post some pics up hopefully tonight, if it does not rain
if you got as far as the cheap boost mod you should know its safe by now:lol:(Thundergod 400+bhp standard engine;) ) not being sure what maf/injectors/ecu map you have id suggest you get the fueling checked if you do decide to go down that route. but yes you would need colder plugs and a fuel pump(not always necessary but....) there' s a bit more to it than that but that would take the fun out of searching for yourself:-D

whats wrong with your oil pressure btw? oil pressure gauges on our sr20 are veeeery temperamental and not always accurate:x

im curious to know whether you have actually got a down tuned (t25) GTIR sr20det or a 200sx sr20det, they have completely different internals as standard. the pulsar' s being the stronger/better built and the VAST majority of 200sx do not in fact fit on a gtir;-)

Stu

ohc_turbo

the blocks completely diffrent on a s14 as you know, im a bit of a novice on sr's but from what i have seen (intercooler in the way) ive got a high port head red top like the early 2.0etg or 2.0ezx, its got 370cc injectors comp ratio is 8.5-1 and boost is at 7psi giving it 208bhp or there abouts apart from that i dunno.

havent got a clue on the internals, it seems like the attesa running gear was on this car before it touched a n14 as the first sr20det in any nissan was in a u12 in 1990, the japs seemed very ahead on this compared to the uk where we just got the ca18det then in the s13.

i would have said the internals were inferior on my car as a n14 is like 20bhp better off than mine but deffo the basic are there, running gear and stuff like that, and youre the guys to speak to. i take it a n14gtir has no lsd up front but a lsd on the rear(like mine) impezas dont have one up front aswell but there pap.

i know this is the most novice question ever but my car in a brochure said full time 4 wheel drive? i dont think its locked all the time, how does this work?

heres a pic of a u12 brochure, i would read it but i cant lol

ive got the whole brochure if anyone wants it

i get it there is a vlsd on the propshaft but how does this make it full time 4x4? guy who i bought it off told me basically if it wheelspins the front it would turn on the rear, so basically he was saying that its in fwd mode on a calm drive but give it a blast and it will be 4x4?

cheers

A

andrew

i take it u got this one then, was going to buy that as a runabout

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=462 8568159&category=18238&sspagename=rvi:1:1v_buy

This might be the only Nissan Bluebird SSS Atessa Turbo in the country and is a real wolf in sheeps clothing. What the Australians call a "sleeper". A car that looks dull but performs like a supercar.

This car was imported in 2004 and has lots of history and booklets but you will need to learn Japanese!

It has the same engine as the Nissan Pulsar rally car (2.0i 16v twin cam Turbo) and this is a factory fit. The engine actually belongs in the car, it is not an afterfit. The engine produced 218bhp as standard but the guy before me had it slightly modded with an ECU upgrade so it now produces somewhere between 250bhp and 280bhp. If you do a google search on this engine (SR20DET) you will find that you can modify them forever, depending on cash. 1 bar of boost is a safe modification acording to the articles and I think it's running at only 0.8bar.

ohc_turbo

yes i did, did you just copy the whole e-bay add? lol

its better than just a kick me about runaround like a k10 micra or something, just a bit

A

andrew

no i posted it on the other forum as i was going to get it,
had this back in the day before i got my pulsar

don't know if this old video will work but u can see my old bluebird 1.8 turbo ca18det in the back ground the only pic i had of it sorry.....this was back in 2002 when i first got the gtir my mate was testing the boost

http://media.putfile.com/bluebird--gtir

Dooie Pop Pop

to be honest id be inclined to take the engine and vin number into nissan and 100% triple check that the engine does indeed have the same internals as a GTIR. no dissing Andrew but there' s quite a difference strength wise between the two. where' s the vent for cooling the tmic? seems weird to put the ic on top without a vent.

20bhp aint much tbh, there' s every possibility its the same engine but it would be good to be 110% sure.

any chance of a pic of the inlet under the ic? i cant see any throttle bodies or the plenum.

if you find the coding on the maf we can check if thats the same at least. standard gtir' s have 440cc injectors. i thought the 200sx had 370' s standard.

Stu

ohc_turbo

ill take some pics at the weekend, ill take the cooler off so i can get a look at whats going on, its prob a mix and match of parts tbh, it looks like this one, but tbh i cant really see it unless i take the tmic off

http://syuninracing.k-server.org/pripri/mphot/primera/toka03.jpg

its quite ingenious in the bonnet as it has ducting that goes ontop of the intercooler and two vents that are hidden in the grill, for added stealthness

the ecu has no 10 on it which i haven heard of before, ive got to check on the japanese fast for most of the parts and stuff to see what other cars use the same maf and see if some ukdm cars have the same parts like shocks brake pads etc. would be helpful