new head gasket = poor running

A

Anonymous

can any one help? just put 1.6mm hks head gasket on, rebuilt engine and put back in. started engine for fist time today. it is running really rough. it will only run if revving a little other than that it cuts out. i think i set timing how it was before. moving dizzy either lowers revs even more one way or does nowt other way. i think its me cam settings / timing dont know how to set this up. is there a set procedure? please help need to beat me 12.5 1/4 at santa pod on 19 feb.

K

KevShek

when you removed the head, did you let the chain drop? or did you suspend it? Ive dropped the chain before, skipped a link on the crank gear which left the car down on power even thou the cam timing was correct.

theres 3 timing marks on the chain, piston 1 should be at TDC, you then line up the furthest chain mark to the crank gear, this then leave 2 which line up with the cam gear marks which will be at 10 and 12 o'clock (clockface view)

you really need a FSM to do this, you want to get it right before you bend something.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
P11GT said:
when you removed the head, did you let the chain drop? or did you suspend it? Ive dropped the chain before, skipped a link on the crank gear which left the car down on power even thou the cam timing was correct.
Surely if the crank gear is one link out, then when you line the crank pulley up for tdc, the marks on the cams will be out, hence you're cam timing is not correct? Or is there something strange about the timing chain? :?

K

KevShek

oh yeah, everything goes to pot. so initial checks, id say remove plug No1, stick a chopstick in there ( i did LOL) use it to find TDC and check that against the pulley mark, 15 degree BTDC (isnt it?) then if it aint, that could be way. Next check, remove the VC and chek the pulleys at TDC, see if they ahve lined up with TDC, but you may need to spin the engine around afew times to check that but each time returning the pulley to 15 BTDC.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The gold mark mark on the timing chain should line up with the mark on the crank pulley (keyway should be at 12 o clock)
The silver marks should line up with the mating marks on the 2 cam pulleys.
The rotor arm should be pointing to just before the number one ht lead location in this position.

K

KevShek

oh so much info to consider, wasnt one of the guy selling the FSM on PDF? good investment for you, you dont wanna get this wrong again.

A

Anonymous

i think i sort of understand now. i did let the timing chain drop. i also changed me clutch at the same time head was off undoing the cover bolts moved the crank. remember seeing gold link on chain @ 12 o clock etc so will have a go see what happens. thanks guys. :lol:

A

Anonymous

all sorted just one tooth out on exhaust cam. runs like a dream. will be at pod on 19 feb running low 12,s again i hope. :lol: