New Fuel pump=overboost, hows this??

CJSPulsaR

Ok like the title sugests Ive just had a new 270ltr fuel pump fitted..Happy with it, ran fine but first time I pulled away hard in 1st and 2nd it was overboosting. HKS evc was set at 1.00bar and it hit 1.3ish and beeped. Gauges hit the same level so not just the evc, but this never happened before the new pump...any ideas people??

CJSPulsaR

Not sure I didnt notice, but it was beeping at its high limit alarm. Thats when I looked at the gauges and they were over the 1.0 bar it was set at..as I said 1st time its ever done this.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry to dredge-up and old thread, but it looks like I've got the same problem. What was the issue in the end?

Mine has worked well for a long time, but this morning the overboost light came on and the gauge went well past the set point... I tried it with the controller off and it stopped at 0.5bar bang-on, so I'm confident that the wastegate actuator is sound.

Does it just need a good clean and a rebuild?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I don't think it's a boost leak because there's no hesitation, and it's only when the EVC is on; when it's off the actuator hold 0.5bar without any problems.

Leak from the solenoid is probably the most likely thing... which I suppose is still a kind of boost leak.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've had another idea, and that's that maybe one of the wires connecting the EVC to the controller has got a break - that would explain why the valve doesn't open and the unit can see it... but why it isn't a problem with the unit off.
Anyone got any idea which wires control the solenoid opening?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I took it apart and put some vacuum grease on the O-rings... that held the boost for about 2 days.
Any other ideas? - I think the lines etc are all OK because the wastegate holds the boost at 0.5 bar with the EVC off.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Er... maybe I put the hoses back on the wrong way around when I put the engine back in: http://www.hksusa.com/faq/?ID=1544
I didn't think I had because I numbered them, but maybe I numbered them against the ports and not the order they are on the solenoid like I thought.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What boost pressure are you running? Does it spike or does it stay high. Can you turn your gain down on the controller?

I don't know if its the same model as Andy's but that did strange things too, that we never got round to bottoming out.

RU55 GTR

A leak from the boost controller pipework would make sense. Surely you can narrow-down as to where the leak is due to the fact there is no leak when the controller is off? Therefore the leak or fault occurs in the system that is used when the controller is on.

Also, isn't 270 lph quite high for a pump running on a standard ECU?! I thought it was 255 lph was the limit the standard ECU could handle with fuel control or re-map?

Best ofluck with it!!!

Last edited:

MarkTurbo

Also, isn't 270 lph quite high for a pump running on a standard ECU?! I thought it was 255 lph was the limit the standard ECU could handle with fuel control or re-map?
The ecu dosent know what fuel pump your using and it wouldnt matter anyway :lol: You could put a bosch 044 that will supply enough fuel for 500bhp+ on a completley standard car without a problem ;-)