New crank seal leaks even worse

Tim

Replaced the front crank seal during the week, and now it's leaking even worse :annoyed:

When i rub my finger over the mating surface on the pulley, there are black score marks. I guess these are from the old seal?

Could it be that that's causing the problem?

Any help greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Tim

vss irvine

yes youll need to change the pulley if its badly scored, or get something to swell the new seal out.

stumo

as vss said, but you might get away with it if you position the seal slightly out from it's original postion.

I doubt you'll be able to prise the seal out a couple of mm without distorting it so you'll prob need to get a new one, just don't install it so far in.

TBH, you're best getting a "new" pulley.

Tim

Right now the seal is installed flush against the casing..

I can get a good pulley for definate on Monday, but it's from a S14.. Will they be the same?

Cheers

Tim

PulsarLee

Hiya,

Is it a big job replacing the seal? what needs to be removed to get to it, as I think mine is leaking too :sad:

thanks,

lee

rayman75

can you take the pulley to a engineering shop and get it metal sprayed and machined.

i have a similar problem at work when a seal wears a away the shaft, we get the shaft metal sprayed and dont get any further problems as it comes back hardend.

cheaoer replacing a seal rather than a pulley/shaft.

PulsarLee

Wheres the best place to pick a seal up from? is it a rubber coated metal shaft seal with the spring on the inner lip?

what kinda price are ya looking at?

Thanks

Lee

Tim

The seals are £6 from Nissan, Lee...

Considering having the pulley repaired as i can have that done quite easily.

I'll be replacing the seal again midweek and trying again, no real rush now as i've fitted track wheels, etc to the MX5 so will probably end up taking that to the nurburgring.

Does anyone want a track ready Pulsar? :lol: