New Car Questions!!!

warringtonjack

Hello people, sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere, but i couldnt find em.

I just bought a 91 R, private sale, just had new uprated clutch and gearbox fitted. I have two questions though....

1. I get 'chatter' everytime I lift off boost, now I suspect this is the air pressure backing up against the turbo blades, however didnt the R come with a recirculating dump valve as standard?? Should this not cure the 'chatter' problem??

2. The 'engine warning light' on the dash keeps coming on when boosting, off when decelerating, and flashing when just cruising. There is a hole in my glove box where somebody has obviously had a boost controller in the past. Is this a likely cause?? What can i do to cure it, buy another controller??

Any help for this noob greatly appreciated.

Ta.

G

GTiRich

I think the first port of call would to be a fault check. If you look at the sticky on the top of the problem solving section it should tell you how to do it. Then i guess you'll have to go from there. I'm afraid i'm not very technical so thats the best i can do for ya :wink:

geetee

to answer....

1. I presume you have a cone or pod air filter fitted. You will hear a chattery noisy when you lift off boost, this is normal.

2. The engine check is in AFM mode and acting as an AFM meter. On for Rich, off for Lean (or off throttle), flashing for closed loop.

This is all fine.

Use the instructions for the fault code check to get your engine check out of AFM mode.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

warringtonjack

Cheers GeeTee, glad to know everything seems to be ok.

is it worth getting a boost controller? how do i know what boost i'm running at the mo?

geetee

umm... the boost gauge in the centre console might give you a clue :D

if it is going off the top of that gauge you need to fit an aftermarket boost gauge to find out.

if it is off the gauge you need to find out why ASAP, you may have a pipe off somewhere which effectively means the boost is uncontrolled. which will make the car very fast for a very short time (BANG).

Let us know what the boost gauge in the centre console is doing when you floor it :)

You will need some kind of boost controller if you are planning to increase the boost to up the power output, but that's a whole can of worms in itself.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check the boost line from the wastegate actuator to the plenum chamber is there, intact and not split/leaking.