negative camber on front o/s wheel

Bart GTI-R

Hi there,

I recently had some standard suspesion and 2 used front wishbones fitted to my R to pass the mot, it passed so that was good but the o/s front wheel is showing negative camber and when turning right its not good. Can the camber be adjusted or do u think its a dodgy wishbone. Any ideas would be a help. Thanks in advance

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Camber is not adjustable as standard on the R. It could be a dodgy wishbone but there is not a lot that can go wrong with them. Check for any bends in the horizontal, they should be straight.

How much negative camber? -1deg, -2deg?

Are you sure you mean camber, do you mean toe? This should be checked and normally needs changing after major suspension work (Like you've had)

If it is camber, either try and get the other one to match :lol: as IMO you normally need more on a standard R than standard. Or get some camber bolts and sort the problem out diecrtly.

Jim

J

Jon

Just got some whiteline camber bolts
if u want the tel number chap?(30 quid ish)
as i had all new suspension put on - the toe & camber were off the scale
and these kiddies do the job!

Jon

Bart GTI-R

its the deffinately the camber you can see it a mile off, yeah can I have the number mate i will order some the weekend. Thanks for the help guys.

Bart

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
If it is a lot of camber that you can see a mile off on only one side :shock: Check all the bolts have been tightened and check you've got the right wishbone too before you take it for granted and just correct it.

Jim

O

Odin

WTF :shock: Don't try and fix this problem with camber bolts before finding out why you have the extra camber in the first place :roll: , You can't get much camber adjustment on standard shocks & topmounts so there has to be something wrong somewhere :idea: .

Take it to a garage to get checked out, You could end killing yourself otherwise :cry: .

rob

Bart GTI-R

Its off the road, im not driving it so there is no worry of that. Wouldnt what an R write off either.

Im going to set it all up next week, take it all apart and do it myself this time. I got a garage to do it last time because i didnt have the time. Iv booked a day off work now.

Cheers

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Have you actually driven it yet or have you just fitted the parts, put it on the garage floor and thought that's not right? You can get some pretty funky angles until you have done a few miles on new suspenion components

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Its normally toe rather than camber that destroys tyres. Could be both.

What camber and toe came up on the wheel alignment?

Bart GTI-R

Im fitting a few more bits, might as well get it all done while its eating my money, then Im going to have it four wheel alligned.