Need some help on a couple things

MarkTurbo

I'm gonna be taking my engine out (again :roll: ) soon to get the gearbox sorted.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide to re-shimming the R? Its getting a bit noisy so i might as well do it.

And whats involved with changing second gear in the box? Tools required, method of doing it etc. Cos i've stripped all the teeth off it :(

00sid

alright mate.
i dont know about the shims but im about to rebuild my box without taking
the engine out, so i will try and take some pics of the removal and changing the gears.

MarkTurbo

Nice one. If you can take some pics that should help me out a bit :D

The box will be out of my car so that should make things a bit easier.

J

jasegould

This is only from what Ive learnt myself by actually doing it, so might be slightly wrong :?

Shimming...first find out the clearances and whether its done hot or cold, I think the r is hot, Ive only ever done them cold so dont really know but i imagine you will have to warm it up, whip the camcover off and measure the clearances before it cools...bit impossible if you ask me :roll:
You have to measure the clearance between the lifter and camshaft lobe using feeler gauges. Measure when the lobe is fully off the lifter. This should be when the lobe is pointing directly away from the lifter (but some lobes are not symmetrical, use a feeler gauge to check this). Once you have measured and noted all the clearances you have to then remove the camshafts, remove the shims from the lifters KEEP THEM IN ORDER and measure the shims (electronic verniers are great for this, can get them for around £30 now). You then have to work out what sized shim you need for each lifter to make the clearance to spec. eg if the clearance should be 0.3, is measured to be 0.5, and the shim is 2.5, you will need a shim off 2.7. You can buy individual sized shims from Nissan but youll prob wait ages for them all to come in....the last one I did I brought a set of the largest that I could buy then got my local machine shop to cut them down to the exact size....you can also reuse some of the shims in different places if they are the right size. Maybe a good idea to find a knackered head and pinch the shims :?: Then box it up, warm it up and recheck the clearances.
Feel free to correct me anyone...... :D

MarkTurbo

Cheers Jase :D

Dosen't sound too difficult. I've removed the cams and shims before when i did the headgasket and that was a piece of p*ss so hopefully it wont be too bad. As long as i measure all the clearances correctly :roll:

I work in a machine shop so acess to measuring equipment is not a problem and if i need to i could always get a set of the largest shims (like you did) and machine them to size on our surface grinder :D

I'm sure i've seen the cold clearances somewhere, just gotta remember where :?

J

jasegould

Its not a hard job, just time consuming :evil: Leave the camshafts/chain in place whilst measuring the clearances and turn the cams using the crankshaft.