need help!!

NU773R

right i've been having loads of problems with the car holding back and being very hard to drive, it all started afew weeks after the car when for its M.O.T, i was told that they needed at adjust something to get it through the emissions, my mum took it for M.O.T and drove it home and she said it felt funny but didnt think to ask what the adjusted, i rung them up and they said they dont remember doing the M.O.T and all that crap

i've pretty much tryed everything untill the other day i was playing aroung with a screw just behind the tps and found that it is running soooooo much better, i havent played around with it too much as i dont know what it does, been told it maybe something to do with the fueling, could that be right???
if so it was screwed all the way in and i have turned it out twice and the car is alot earier to drive and does not hold back as much

has anyone got any idea's??

cheers :thumbsup:

C

Coffey

Yea mate sounds like the screw that lets more or less fuel into the engine. It can be adjusted and if it was fully tightened then it wouldnt have been letting in enough fuel thus making your car feel horrible to drive. By loosening you are basically letting more fuel through so its not as starved for fuel as it would have been with it fully tightened meaning it will run as it should. However be careful how much you loosen it as you may make the car start over fueling pretty badly. if you look on then net there should be somewhere that will tell you what it should be set to.

I think im right with what I have just said but if not someone please correct me :)

Hope that helps you mate

Dan

NU773R

cheers mate, thats what i was thinking but just wanted to make sure, time to go and see if i can find what it sould be set too :D unless someone knows of here what it should be set too??

STU4X4

I Didnt Think There Was Any Way Of Adjusting The Amount Of Fuel On These As Its Got A Lambda Sensor?

GTi-R23

I think they're talking about the idle adjustment screw at the back of the engine behind the TPS, it doesn't adjust fuelling as such, think it just lets a bit more/less air bypass the throttle(s) to alter the idle. MOT testers might have tweaked it to slow the idle down, doesn't sound good practice though if they didn't tell you first/later.
You're right though, fuelling can't be adjusted through the rev range as simply as turning a screw.

What do you mean by 'really hard to drive'? What symptoms?

Last edited:

NU773R

if i put my foot on the throttle anything more than a cm or 2 it holds back big time to the point it is really hard to accelerate, going up hills are almost a no no as it just wont make it as it holds back so much
it also didnt want to rev, the exhaust would pop and bang

after playing with the screw it now revs better and i can drive it alittle better, it still holds back but nowhere new as much

STU4X4

So If Its An Air Bypass Screw How Would It Affect The Running With The Throttle Open?

If It Only Alters Your Idle Speed Then When The Throttles Open It Wouldn`t Be Used In Any Way?

Only Ask As I Know Mine Is Fully Wound In And As You Well Know Im Trying To Cure A Hesitation????

GTi-R23

That's what I don't understand, it shouldn't affect the running with the throttle open. Any chance you could post a pic of the screw you're talking about or describe it in more detail?
The idle control screw usually has a hose on the end of it that you stick the screwdriver down to locate onto the screw head.