Need an alternative for RPS Max Street

G

GTI-R Kid

Well folks, its yet another clutch thread, though this is a little different.

Need help finding an alternative clutch for our car. When we were putting it back together we had a power target of about 350bhp, with similar torque, and with that in mind I sourced and fit an RPS Max Street clutch as it should easily cope with our target figure.

Only problem now is that my Mrs is finding it a nightmare in traffic (me too I must admit) and when parking so something needs to be done to make the car more driveable. A good percentage of our driving is in the city and traffic, so we really need something with a lighter pedal but still capable of holding together if we ever reach our power target.

So can anyone suggest an alternative that can cope with the target power figure? Or is there anything I can do to lighten the pedal with the clutch we have?:oops:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
How long has she been driving on it? Mine's heavy, but it's a piece of **** in traffic now. Probably took a couple of days to get used to it.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I thought the RPS Max was quite light relativley speaking :oops:

I'm not sure what the non max is like, maybe that's an option

O

Odin

Tell you bird to stop being a wimp :roll: :der: ...........

You can't have it both ways matey, Maybe a twin plate would be better for you or just keep the power standard and fit an AP organic :roll: ......

Rob

JIMMYBACK

im sorry to tell you that your ether gonna have to get to like it or keep changing the standard one...it took only a few days to get used to it matey

Fazz

big girls blouse!!!!

sell the car, cause it sounds lik ur next thread will be ...

" where can i get a bigger mirror ?? "

OR

" i can only fit 2 lipsticks in door pocket, how can i make it 3?? "

its a god damn rally car not an accessory!!!

in the mean time , if anyone see's a pair of balls they might send them to cork as someone lost theirs at the honeymoon...... :)

P

pulsarboby

hahaha could i interest you in a nice little nissan micra AUTOMATIC sir?? shes a pleasure to drive, and very economical for the town user sir, she also has pink matching velour to compliment the exterior! suits you sir, sir sir haha lol

G

GTI-R Kid

To answer the only serious question (Fast Guy - herself says hi ;-) ) the clutch has been in the car about 7 weeks now and has covered about 10k km. Recently adjusted the bite point (it was becoming near impossible to get a gear) which helped a little. Also tried adjusting the drivers seat base position for her too today which has also helped so the Max can stay a little longer.

Just trying to look at things from a longer-term point of view, and if I find it a bit heavy in traffic whats it going to be like for her if she ever has a bump?! :shock: I'm quite used to it at this stage, but if I'm in nose-to-tail traffic for longer than 15 mins I find myself putting the car in neutral just to give my leg a break. Could it be stiff because something needs re-greasing (pedal, actuator thing)? Would draining all the fluid and filling with new maybe help? I don't recall ever changing the clutch fluid since we first got the car so might it be worthwhile?

Dooie - does your gf drive your car much? And would you have her use that clutch if she were with child? Just putting it in perspective. Herself drives the car just as much as I do, and it is definitely OUR car so I really need to consider her too when it comes to the different bits and pieces.

Rob - is a twin paddle not just like an on/off button in action? Keeping car standard power is never going to happen - we both want more after having it on the Ring. :thumbsup:

Fazz - cheers for the useful post. :p Plus herself says to tell you you can fit 18 lipsticks and 2 handbags - if you had a woman you'd already know that!
:lol:

pulsarboby - thanks but no thanks. Already have the Ka for that. :oops:

geetee

I don't find the RPS massively over heavy (but then I'm not 9 stone or female), what I find more of a pain in nose to tail traffic is the way it tries to spring your foot off right over the biting point.

Only time it really pissed me off was in a 2 hour traffic jam on the M1 - one of those ones that just comes to a stop then crawls off for 20 metres before stopping again...... repeat.... that did actually start to hurt my leg and back.

I don't think you'll find any of the other uprated clutches are much better.

My logic may be wrong but maybe find a bigger master cylinder (?) or rework the clutch pedal box and pedal to give a longer lever effect (?). Or even bodge up a servo assist clutch mechanism. No idea if any of that is possible but the logic applies for brakes :)

Cheers
Graham

G

GTI-R Kid

geetee said:
I don't find the RPS massively over heavy (but then I'm not 9 stone or female), what I find more of a pain in nose to tail traffic is the way it tries to spring your foot off right over the biting point.
Know exactly what you mean there!

Cheers for the suggestion on the master cylinder - anyone have any ideas what I could fit? And if we do go down that route - anyone know a larger brake master cylinder that would fit too?:-D

Fazz

GTI-R Kid said:
Fazz - cheers for the useful post. :p Plus herself says to tell you you can fit 18 lipsticks and 2 handbags - if you had a woman you'd already know that!
:lol:
QUOTE]

Nice try but I'm afraid your assumption is wrong!
The gf is simply kept in the passenger seat and not allowed to even try depress the clutch as lets be honest, it ain't a girl friendly car.

So you are trying to make it a girl friendly car and the p`iss will be taken as you continue in your quest! :p

I'm not even going into the OUR car..... :)

I have a Helix Organic Clutch, probably one of the more friendly clutches on teh leg and even this would see a woman give out I'd say...

Its not gonna happen, so give up trying...

Next you will be lookin for ways to decrease power so you can slow the kick of the turbo in, and also fit a standard clutch again!!!!! :) :) :p

You've got some man points you need to catch up on!

P

pulsarboby

leave him be fazz!
its not his fault that his gf wears the trousers!:lol:
i suggest that you have multiple joint driving experience;-) ie she turns the steering wheel of the beast in the driver seat and operates the brake and accelerator!
whilst you cokk your leg over the tunnel and do the clutch and gearchanges:-D

this will add to your togetherness, and bring you closer together in mind as well as body, your thoughts will be as one and all 3 of you will live happily ever after, ooops 4 of you:thumbsup:

oldaneal

silly question have you changed the clutch hose for a braided one, mine got very heavy with the old rubber hose and was totally diffrent with a braided one but im also running a helix orgainc instead as well