Need advice please!

• Thread starter heaven is a gtir (bry)
  • Start date
H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

I am doing my piston rings :cry: in the new year and i need some advice on a few things please.

1. do i need to take the engine out or can i just get away with taking the head, sump and inlet manifold off?

2. how can i tell if they are standard pistons. Will they have any kind of marking on the top like a stamp. Who knows what the japs might have done. :D

3. is it a normal set up on the pistons e.g 3 rings. 2 compression and 1 oil or is there only 2 rings.

4. has anyone got and prices on things like top end gaskets, bottom end gaskets and piston rings for standard pistons. Someone must have bought these parts from a nissan dealer before now.

All help very much appreciated. 8) Bry.

skiddusmarkus

The pistons say "54C" on them.A full engine gasket kit is about £150 and a head kit is about £100.Both are usually in stock but order early to save waiting.

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Is 54c A standard piston ring? Engine out or in? Is it 2 or 3 rings?

:?:

skiddusmarkus

Most people would take the engine out if replacing the rings in case you need a rebore.

The 54C is stamped ontot he pistons themselves.

I think there are 3 sets of rings.

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

OK thanks for the help. :D

Anyone else welcome to post their views.

G

GAZ P

If your going to the trouble of replacing the rings why not fit a set of forged pistons at the same time :D .Might save the pain of having to rebuild the engine a second time if you up the boost :oops: .Should be able to get a set for under £500 :shock:

H

heaven is a gtir (bry)

Good :!: i will have to see how much money i spend on beer over xmas :D :D :D :D

:?: Where would be the best place to get them from. I have looked at norris design and they are £700 if memory serves me correct. :cry: