ND Super Hybrid / MD172 turbo?

A

Anonymous

I've got a nice new Norris Designs Super hybrid turbo yipee!! Looking at its markings its a Turbo Dynamics MD172 spec as below.

High flow 47.5mm compressor wheel, re-profiled 0.60 A/R compressor housing, 360 degree ramped thrust bearing, left hand thread shaft & wheel fitted with staggered gap/ total seal turbine end piston ring fitted, 0.86 A/R turbine housing uprated 14 psi actuator.

Will the turbo feel different to my old std one @ 1 Bar?

By the way if anyone hasn't noticed I used to be 106DiabloGti.

chrisniss91

When mine was fitted it was set to standard boost and i thought because its a hybrid it was going to be much more faster, i was very disappointed but then i had it set to 1.1bar on high boost and it feels much faster even at 1bar on the hybrid it feels much faster than the standard turbo at 1bar. It also saw my power from 303bhp at 1.1 bar to 337at 1.1bar so it adds power and quite a lot of torque 276ibft (standard) 306ibft (super hybrid)

D

DazBGTIR

Rich, let us know how the car performs once that turbo is on. When i still had the car i was going to get either the stage 2 or stage 4 Turbo Dynamics turbo fitted.

Be interested in the results.

Daz

E

Edd

I'd be interested too as long as you run it on the same boost level as the old turbo then can compare to mine.
Get a power run with it at powerstation aswell if you can and also if you can compare the air temp to the last time aswell.

A

Anonymous

Guys turbo is being fitted Monday. :D

Will tell you what I think. Won't go to power Station for a while now. The results I got were at 18 degrees cent with the present turbo, and still poor results.

Rich at Power Station reckoned that the T28 turbo Edd and I had (smaller compressor and exhaust housing, 0.60 instead of 0.87), the turbine blades got to a point where they were spinning so fast it started to cut the air rather than push or pull it (cause of it being so revvy).

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
RichGt1R said:
the turbine blades got to a point where they were spinning so fast it started to cut the air rather than push or pull it (cause of it being so revvy).
Overspeeding, chances are the blades are spinning so fast they're going supersonic. This causes the air flow to break down (can't remember if it's stall or surge, been so long since I did my gas turbine theory) and no more air will go through the turbo. Or something like that :?

S

Sirnixalot

think of it like water pump cavitation at too high rpms.....the blades spin so fast that the water is just beaten to death at the outer edge and doesnt get a chance to make it into the blades to be sent on its merry way

A

Anonymous

Can't wait til I finish work!! Turbo's been fitted and runs sweet apparently.

E

Edd

so are you saying the turbo you used to have and i have have a smaller compressor housing that standard?

S

Sirnixalot

Pulsar GTi-R: T-28, 60 trim 60 mm BCI-1 compressor in standard T-3 housing.

maybe the compressor housing has been changed to a T04B one? Like the ones off the Silvia S14/15?

A

Anonymous

God it feels good to have torque :D :shock:

Yeah Sirnixalot is right, had a word with turbo force who made it and they said it was indeed a smaller compressor off S14 200sx

Now I have a Profec B spec 2 boost controller, what should I set the start boost level at? Has anybody got a Super hybrid running Profec B spec 2 boost controller?