Nadgered Wheel Bearing!! :(

M

Mickgtir

My n/s front wheel bearing has suddenly developed this lovely loud+embarassing knocking noise!!

Didn't want to trouble the nice people at the local Nissan dealership too much as they all go quiet when they are asked for bits for an 'R & have to send for the manager to deal with such a bizarre request, so I've had a search thru the forums & obtained part no's for front wheel bearings so I can tell them what they are without the compulsary 15 minutes of searching & head scratching & in-depth questions & more head scratching etc etc!!

Can anyone give me any info on what other bits & bobs I need while replacing them? I presume there will be seals & maybe a circlip here & there.

Also, are they a bitch to replace cus everything else I've had to fix over the years has ended up being a nightmare!!

I've also got to replace the drivebelts at some point. Is this an "engine out" job or can it be done in situ?

Any help greatly appreciated!!..........

stumo

the wheel bearings, infact practically the whole car is the same as the UK R.

tell the numpies to put in N14 and GTiR into Eurofast and it will show them what you want to see.

drivebelts are dead easy to do, the P/S one is a bit short on space but it's still easy.

M

Mickgtir

Cheers son.

I'll get down to the dealers 1st thing 2mrw & make my enquiries........

I'm sure it will be a right laugh!!!

M

Mickgtir

stumo said:
Son? :lol: :thumbsup:

LOL!!!

I reckon I'll hunt round some bearing suppliers 1st. Is bound to work out cheaper & quicker in the long run than the local Profiteering Rice-Burner Motor Corp ltd!

Nigell_d6

Hi,

you will need lip seals and dust cover, if you are not careful removing the one's fitted + bearing press and formers/spacers. easy job with the right equipment, Ill post up the part numbers when I get home, If I remember rightly about £60 from Nissan for each side

Regards

Nigel

O

Odin

Just go down you local factors and get a bearing kit which has everything you need, It cost me about £40 last weekend and a total bill of £77 fitted.

Don't what ever you do get it from Nissan they don't do a kit they do the bits separately and it will cost you loads.

I've done two now and got both kits from my local factors.

Rob

Nigell_d6

Thunder God said:
Just go down you local factors and get a bearing kit which has everything you need, It cost me about £40 last weekend and a total bill of £77 fitted.

Don't what ever you do get it from Nissan they don't do a kit they do the bits separately and it will cost you loads.

I've done two now and got both kits from my local factors.

Rob

Agree with above, in most cases motor factors are cheaper, have known them not to be, however up to you, as promised the part numbers are:-

Wheel Bearing 4021050Y00 £57.68 + Vat
Lip Seal 4023250Y10 £4.78 + Vat
Snap ring 4021450Y00 £5.64 + Vat

There is another seal on each which is of a different size which I didnt change, if you want the number Ill look it up if you let me know. If you intend beating every thing out using a hammer both seals are advisable, the snap ring is not,

Regards

Nigel

O

Odin

Nigel_d6 said:
Wheel Bearing 4021050Y00 £57.68 + Vat
Lip Seal 4023250Y10 £4.78 + Vat
Snap ring 4021450Y00 £5.64 + Vat

And you will get all these bits including a new split pin in the wheel bearing repair kit that you get from the local factors 8) , My first kit cost £37 but this time it was a bit dearer at £41 I think but still a dam site cheaper than Nissan.

Rob

M

Mickgtir

Thanks all!!

At £40 for the full kit it sounds like its best to give mr Nissan a miss then.

I'll have a good hunt round but I'm not confident that any of my local motor factors know what a GTiR is, let alone stock wheel bearing kits for them.
They seem to concentrate far too much on stocking neon kits, LEDs & flashing things so all the Saxo, Corsa & 106 battyboys can illuminate Macdonalds car park up at night like Santa's grotto, presumably to offer up a bit of light to help them see better when they are all Wan*ing each other off on there.

I'll pop down to "Car & Comical" in a bit and see what they can get me.

The actual repair won't be a problem-I can lay my hands on a flypress & I own a full set of precision smacking implements for the more intricate bits!! :p

J

jpward

Could always try your local bearing outlet!!

Theres 2 places near me and ive yet to go to them and them not be able to get what i after for every type of machine their bearing anoraks :lol: :lol:

M

Mickgtir

Job Done!!

£43 for a complete bearing kit from "car & comical", a couple of swings on the flypress next door + some swearing & now she's brand new again!! Thanks all for the advice. It saved me quite a few quid & probably several days of waiting around for Nissan to get the bits. I shall go & intimidate+terrorise some Saxo chavs for a bit 2nite with a tankful of Optimax to celebrate ;o]

ps. I went to my good old faithful Nissan dealership earlier to enquire about new drivebelts. After 25mins of various blank expressions from 3 members of staff I was told that they couldn't find the items on their system & could I possibly go back tomorrow with some part numbers for them to search against!! How fcukin useless is that??!!
On the bright side though, the new 19yr old receptionist bird with a particularly spectacular rack did fall foul of several minutes of idle & totally random chit-chat while I was waiting & gave up her mobile number, so my journey wasn't entirely wasted!!