my turbo is screeming

T

thelegend

Hello

After a short 10 hour drive to aberdeen and back on some nice twisty roads I have just realised my turbo is now screeming / screeching / whining however you want to describe it :) as the engine comes on boost. It always has a slight noise but has now got alot worse.

I have searched and heard a whistle described being loose boost pipes but this is more of a high pitched whine. Does this mean my turbo is probably on its way out? it still is pulling well with no smoke and holding boost perfectly just getting loud?

if so anyone got a spare?

cheers

paul

Fazz

Mine whine'd for 6 months...

I was told this was the early stages of the turbo giving up but 6 months later and hard driving it still didn't give up.

Off road for while now back on and its still whining, but no play in shaft at all as i checked it.

However I am beginning to get an intermittent smoke problem and suspect the seals on turbo are giving up.

For now, I'd continue as you are, thou do check the pipe's and intercooler pipes just in case.

Drive on. ( Like u stole her) :)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Definately sounds like the turbo bearings are on there way out

what boost are you running ?

Like Fazz says though it could go on for months if your just running 1 bar but if your running 1.2 - 1.4 bar on the original standard turbo then I wouldn't expect it to last quite so long.

I would start saving your pennies and start loooking for a replacment turbo of some kind.