My R is sad.

Chris1

My R is much happier.

Need a little help if poss.

Driving home yesterday I noticed a bit of a problem with the R.

Here goes...........Deep breath.........

Just going through the gears, or accelerating in general, it stutters before coming on boost. It feels like it's holding back. Like there is something stopping the turbo from spooling up.
As you accelerate the boost gauge rises to 0, like normal, then it seems to have trouble getting over that. It sounds like a boost related problem to me, but then again I have no idea what I am talking about.
It's got the yummy forged engine etc etc with a hybrid turbo that is about 20k old, so I am hoping that it's not too big a problem.

I was wondering if it just needs a tune. It hasn't had one to my knowledge for quite a while now. Could it be that simple?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Chris.

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check your boost hoses for splits or havin blown off.
Check your bolts on the turbo/manifold for coming loose
Check the actuator rod hasn't come off.

P

pulsarboby

as above really!
but could be anything
check kv's on leads (possible misfiring, due to either faulty plugs, dizzy cap tracking, dodgy leads)

could also be a fuel related problem!

first thing i would do is as fast guy above has said.
then fault code check
then kv check
then check fuel delivery rate, if all the above are ok!

GTiR_Mic

Could be your intercooler pipe work as Morf said and check all above. Also check your turbo for play.

Did you notice any smoke at all?

Mic

Chris1

Didn't notice any smoke. I think it is running a bit rich though.

Thanks for the help guys. I will get out there when this crappy rain stops and have a good poke around.

Cheers,

Chris.

Chris1

Hello chaps.

Just to keep you informed. It does have a faulty DET sensor. That little trick with the wire worked a treat so thanks for that.

Time to get it sorted now I know what is wrong with the poor thing.

Cheers all,

Chris.

Chris1

Well just to let you know that I have had the R repaired, and it's running much nicer now, woo hoo!

One issue I do have though is that the boost delivery is a little different than before.
Before it went tits up the delivery was really smooth and the turbo spooled up from pretty low revs. Probably about 2.5k.
Now there is boost but it aint that much untill you get well into the 3's, nearly 4's. It comes in with quite a wallop too. Which is nice but not the same as before.

I don't know if it's because it's been tinkered with or if the dealer has accidentally 'knocked' the bleed valve a bit. Could it just do with a remap now it's better?

Chris.

Last edited:

MORF114

putting it on the rollers wont do any harm i suppose it'll see if there is any other problems with regards to boost coming in at 3-4000 rpm.