My first

S

Soody

Hey, just joined so very new to the site. I am looking to buy a GTiR got between 4-5k to spend on one. But there are a few things i wanted to ask:

A. i have been told they are unreliable and go through clutches really easy is this true?
B. What sort of things do i need to look out for when buying one?
C. What can i get for my money?

Cheers

Soody :-D

A

Andybtsn

Unreliable? I have heard otherwise, people haven't had problems in years, and this is from a 12-16 year old car. I bought from the repuatation they had.

Rust on rear arches is common, check for blue smoke on startup, take for test drive deffinately before buying.

For that kind of money you will get a minter mate. There's a few for sale now

Gray

4-5k will get you one in excellent condition at the top end of your budget

clutches only go easily if you do loads of launching on them and give them death
look out for rust on rear arches, cruching gear box noises (diff noises etc)
any white smoke when its warmed up - head gasket
bluey grey smoke - turbo

check for wetness in the drivers footwell as the clutch master cylinders leak sometimes
check cv and drive shaft boots for any splits / wear and tear

check the electric windows work well as sometimes they dont

check that it doesnt leak any oil or water

geoff pine

:welcome: and make sure the heater works test it in all postions[:frusty: ] were do you live as there maybe some one in this club that lives local to you that would help and advise you .

ShayneG

I had my first R for 18 months and ran it at 1.1 bar and it was fine, The clutch held up but went shortly after me selling it. But 18 months aint bad on a standard clutch running 1.1 bar

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My standard clutch lasted 4 years of launches and gentle gear changes:p
I did a 12.4 on it when it had been slipping for 6 months already and had I turned up the boost the year before I reckon I'd have gone quicker still with it.