MSD Ignition System - Any Benefits?

billy187

Ive managed to get hold of a MSD 6AL Ignition and Coil Kit for a good price but was wondering whether there were any benefits from fitting it? Over a good working standard system would there be any advantages?

billy187

Hope you had a good Xmas Dan..

Thats what i was thinking mate as ive never had any problems with the standard system, its pretty easy to fit though so il give it a go and see how it is.

Smo

I'm in the same boat Billy - I've got myself an MSD Ignition set and coil. I know the standard system can handle 2bar boost alright (which is pretty impressive) but I don't want to be held back by it should I be able to go further when she gets mapped so I'm going to throw on the MSD set - as you said it's not overly complicated, and as Danny said, there's no harm in it!

red reading

Had a nice xmas mate (i needed the break) you?

When you fit it just be sure to use good connections (solder and heat shrink) and a good live supply and earth, i would think at silly boost it would help as you can open the plug gaps up and get better off boost fuel economy, but i never had any trouble at 2.0 + bar before on my old setup with missfire's (even when it melted the plugs and lifted the head it never missfired)

From what I've been told the standard system starts to struggle once you get into the high 500's bhp, but should be OK up until that point.

dobby

My msd coil didnt last too long. Started getting misfires on high boost and gradually got worse. Thing is I read about bad reliabilty shortly after buying it and when it was too late to change it. I wouldn't have another again. I also have the 6a box.

gtirjoey

i used to run run the msd 6a amplifier and blaster coil, took it off in end and sold it as it made no differance what so ever....