mph dial?

A

Anonymous

Just bought a GTIR but the speedo is reading in kph & it doesnt have mph markings on it. Is there a dial i can buy that reads in mph that i can just replace the kph one with? I'm not bothered about having it delimited or having the mileometer reading in mph.

cheers

paz

Yes you can, thats what I've got. Where you can buy it from however is a different matter :lol: Can't help with that one I'm afraid - try a google ;)

Paz

antgtir

I was under the impression that for the car to pass its import tests it had to be converted to read mph not kph, may be wrong on this though :?

Normally the importer would do this for you. However if you do a search on here you may find someone who could do it for you, or at least get the parts for someone else to do. :wink:

Ant.

P.s. My last two R's where imports and both had the above carried out. Maybe go to a diferent importer and see how much they will charge for doing it for you.

paz

They are ''converted'' if you change the dials to read MPH ;) It was how some of the earlier imports (i.e. mine) were done.

Basically you just replace the original KPH dial with a MPH one that uses the MPH readings from where they were on the KPH clock ... make sense? :? :roll: :lol:

Paz

paz

:lol: Right then. The original KPH clock goes upto 180kph (or 110mph). If you look on the KPH dials, it also shows MPH in smaller digits (in the same way UK cars display KPH in smaller digits inside the MPH display).

Basically you can get a new face for the speedo clock, which reverses that information and shows the MPH speeds in larger text on the outside of the dial. So, the dial only reads to 110mph where converted and UK R's dials usually read to 180mph - make sense now?

Paz

geoff pine

right i have read this explanation before sort of makes sense but if this method works , why the need to pay for electronic converters i have seen adverts just for kmp to mph with out the speed delimiters .a dial which has the mph reading in the right place with enlarged central hole so there would be no need to remove the neddle whould be a lot cheaper. :? :? why would aclock for a140mph car only have 110 mph dial on it. what does the uk gtir clock read to my sons micras reads 110mhp how confusing .

JIMMYBACK

the uk clock have 150 on it................the only reason some gtir have 110-112 faces on them cos the importer/person counldt be bothered wiv paying for a convertor to be added so they dont it the pikey way :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: all right if u own a micra cos there never gonna see 110 :shock:

paz

geoff pine said:
right i have read this explanation before sort of makes sense but if this method works , why the need to pay for electronic converters i have seen adverts just for kmp to mph with out the speed delimiters .a dial which has the mph reading in the right place with enlarged central hole so there would be no need to remove the neddle whould be a lot cheaper. :? :? why would aclock for a140mph car only have 110 mph dial on it. what does the uk gtir clock read to my sons micras reads 110mhp how confusing .
There's no real need to electrically convert it unless:
1. You're regularly planning on going over 110mph, and when you do really feel the need to know how fast you're going :lol: Unlike me who just grins ;)
2. You want the car to clock up in miles instead of KM.

Regarding your second question, my cars an import, so was limited to 112mph when it rolled out of the factory. As such I'm guessing there was no need to have a clock that went any higher than 110mph/180kph. I'm not certain on that one, but it makes sense.

Paz

JIMMYBACK

paz said:
geoff pine said:
There's no real need to electrically convert it unless:
1. You're regularly planning on going over 110mph, and when you do really feel the need to know how fast you're going :lol: Unlike me who just grins ;)
2. You want the car to clock up in miles instead of KM.

Regarding your second question, my cars an import, so was limited to 112mph when it rolled out of the factory. As such I'm guessing there was no need to have a clock that went any higher than 110mph/180kph. I'm not certain on that one, but it makes sense.

Paz
the only reason jap cars read 110-112 is cos of the limitations on all jap cars no car was ever allowed from factory to bee above 280bhp n speed over 112 :shock: bloody gentlemans agreement crap :roll: :wink:

A

Anonymous

so could i use the mph dial from a Micra? or how about a 1.4 uk Sunny? or does anyone know where i can get one of these dials to save me getting a converter?

cheers