moving airfilter

williams

im going to move my airfilter to just behind headlight.
i was thinking about using the standard inlet pipe and cutting it etc, but there isnt much room after the vacum hose fitting to cut and join a hose to.
what does everyone else use when does this? can you buy a section of straight pipe with the vacum fitting welded on?

Trip

where does the vacuum hose lead to ? Is it used for some critical component ? If not blank it off :)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The smallest fitting is just a port for the factory solenoid to bleed the boost into, the larger one is the crank case breather of course. - You don't need either connected if you don't want them; my bleed port has JB Weld stuck in it, but the crank case breather is still hooked-up.

darkyGTI-R

I had mine relocated to front custom made pretty sure I could do it myself now having watched the guy make it

williams

i have the breather going to a catch tank anyway. so where should i hook the boost solenoid to if i dont use that hole?

williams

i was going to have the filter right behind the headlight. have you modified the standard pipe on yours darky?

darkyGTI-R

I don't have the standard pipe mate in the bin lol just stainless steal from the turbo obviously with rubber piping connecting to the turbo then straight up at that wild angle because it's different,I also split the wires to the afm no soldering needed just lots of insulation tape and the cold air feed coming from the front left grill easy really with a bit of help lol the bracket you can see holding the battery is the bracket that used to hold the afm up,and no cutting body work metal so all good apart from the plastic brake ducts underneath for the cold air feed i've had no issues by the way,nice sucking sound coming from the AEM airfilter!

darkyGTI-R

i have the breather going to a catch tank anyway. so where should i hook the boost solenoid to if i dont use that hole?
With the boost solenoid just do the 1 bar loop if you're pretty standard apart from few mods you've said.Really easy just connect the two pipes connecting to the solenoid together using a two way connector then just use one piece of vacuum pipe about 5ins then connect that loop to where the pipes came from ie 1 bar loop it just stops dirt getting in that's all

darkyGTI-R

Mate all the catch tank does is catch the vapours from the oil that can go directly back into the engine and just clog it up eventually,it does take a bloody long time though so don't panic and it looks horny lmfao

williams

what if you want to use a boost controller to run more than 1 bar? do you not need somewhere for the boost solenoid to plumb into?

shroom

no you i you have your controller you can get rid of it all together, it just plumbs into your actuator and up on plenum i think