*moved*What is Reciprocation?

S

Sunny Nutter

I just fitted my induction cone, and took her for a spin, my mate was with me and said that the fluttering noise as I backed off the throttle was reciprocation from the turbo rather then the dump valve!

he wasnt very good at explaining it, so what is reciprocation?[?]

--------------------
Ciaran.
EEichi.com

Websnowbo

I'm not sure what its called but basically its the sound of the air bouncing
of the turbine blades when you shut the throttle.

I'm with Paul below! [;)]

C

Cashpoint

When you have run on boost and then close the throttle there is positive pressure in the space betwee the turbo and the manifold. As the throttle is now closed this pressure has no where to go if the pressure is sufficient the dump valve opens. If not the only place for the pressurised air to go is back the way it came through the turbo. the noise is the air passing the blade on the turbo as it goes out through the filter. On the std air box you don't hear the noise as it contained in the box. With the a cone filter you do as it's not contained

** weeks with out an R and missing it
Supra TT Now same fuel bills different sh*t
Seat belt Pads aren't good, even Novas deserve more!

S

Sunny Nutter

thats sounds similar to what my mate said only your explaination makes more sense!

so this is just a natural part of the turbo design and wont damage anything.....right?[:eek:)]

--------------------
Ciaran.
EEichi.com

C

Cashpoint

erm yes. Yes it's natural and yes it will damange the turbo but the damage will be so low it's not a problem. As the gas from the zorst turns the turbo one way and gas trying to go back through the turbo tries to turn it the other is does increase ware but to such a small amount it's not a problem. check that you dump valve is opening ie ppsshhtt noise. If you only ever get the .....can't think of a description then get a BOV. There not strictly nessary as R turbo's only last around 70K miles but they do help.

S

Sunny Nutter

I have a forge DV with the weaker spring fitted as I am only running standard boost at the mo...so all should be fine!
thanks for the info Paul![;)]

--------------------
Ciaran.
EEichi.com

J

jasegould

Is that the fluttering sound i get when i dont give it enuf to dump through the dump valve??

Ooooohh...its black..yawn..with 17'S..yawn..mongoose..yawn...zzzzzzzzz...BUT NOT FOR LONG!!!!!!!!!!

j10gtr

One More Question as the air is reversing direction across the maf what will be the effect on the the signal from the maf ?.

Thanks
Paul

C

Cashpoint

Haven't a clue but as the amount of air is low i wouldn't think it would make much difference as it the first time i've know amyone ask that question hadn't even thought about it. You'd have to do voltage test to see what the maf is seeing. as you can only do the while the car is underload it would be a bit of a sod to do.

In the same say the pressure coming back through the turbo makes little difference i would have thought the air coming back passed the maf makes little difference to

A

antilag

i av herd this called turbo chatter wen i strenthend my blow off valve spring on my skyline i used to get it if u have a week spring it isnt week enuff i would get it sorted really cos like he said it will where ya turbo a little but your turbo ent new is it and would more then likely b on its way out anyway

cars take away all my earnings and even the money i havent earned yet

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I had this noise on my montego turbo and I thought it was the factory dump valve working (not quite the same as the aftermarket dumpvalve) although someone did call it wastegate chatter. I thought my the noise I can now hear with my Apexi was similar, like a weedy factory dump valve doing its' job.

A

Anonymous

Ive just fitted a K&N cone filter and get the same noise and i think is sound GREAT[:D]

Give me another 'scooby snack'!!